1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FileHippo is now “offering” an adware laden download manager

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by 2oldGeek, Nov 4, 2014.

1. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

FileHippo is now “offering” an adware laden download manager
    [​IMG] Say it ain’t so! Filehippo.com is “offering” us a download manager that includes special “offers” a.k.a adware. How generous of them. Adware is a very serious threat to your PC. Adware cripples performance and makes using the internet almost an impossibility. While adware can usually be uninstalled, most users have no idea how to.

You can read about the Filehippo.com download manager here – http://www.filehippo.com/de/filehippo_download_manager

NOTE:
    If you would like to prevent adware from installing check out this review on Unchecky

2oG

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Its been available for a number of months however don't be confused it isn't part of normal software downloading when you go to get updates manually,it isn't part of the green button download thingy you press

ok this is seriously f'd up now filehippo appears in german wtf,oh well now's a good time as any to learn my saxon heritage..lol..

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yeah, it's been there for a while and you can avoid it... but that's not the point.. point is, more and more of these are popping up and that really sucks pond water!! :(

4. aldan

aldan Active member

ive gotten so used to avoiding the "addons" that i dont even think about it anymore.i guess they gotta make money somehow eh?lol

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yeah, a penny here a penny there... all adds up to big bucks and pissed off customers.:p

6. pmshah

pmshah Member

I have been avoiding all the other sites for my software download as I absolutely do not want anything that is installer based. I swore by the clean full downloads at Filehippo till yesterday. Then I found almost everything to be installer based. Now I will simply keep away from them.

7. jhvance

jhvance Member

Much of the time (though not all), there will be a note just below the FileHippo download button (which has the d'l manager) that says "direct download" -- clicking on that link will deliver the full installer file without the manager.

However, for Adobe Flash FH will always deliver a stub installer and Adobe doesn't publicize its developer download page -- usually someone will provide in a FH comment the site or it can be gotten through a link that's always posted at krebsonsecurity.com with Brian Krebs' latest story about updating the newest Flash offerings pushed out, though I've heard Adobe intends to shutter that site in the near future and force everyone to use a stub installer to give them more control over distribution (and more opportunity to load up machines with their own crapware).