1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

files bigger then they where

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Crusty666, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Crusty666

Crusty666 Member

i have a problem, i have some vids on my pc which are about 200mb & i want make a dvd with about 15 of these vids wich would be about 3gig all up now when i goto add the vids to the dvd they grow realy big so big that its pointless making the dvd when 3 vids turn out to be 3 to 4 gig. why is this?, & is there a way to stop this

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

What format are the vids in and what software are you using to put them on DVD?

3. Crusty666

Crusty666 Member

hi,

they are avi. converted from dvd, i use nero6 & i tryed sonic my dvd but same thing dont like sonic tho.

4. redlighty

redlighty Guest

You could use virtualdub to convert the avis to the DivX codec. If you can't get the new files onto the DVD something is going wrong with the DVD burning process. I suspect that is what is wrong in any case :eek:(

5. Crusty666

Crusty666 Member

im sorry maybe i was very clear in what i meantI have no trouble getting files on DVD the only thing im having trouble with is the size of the DVD file when it converts it the files are 200MB each on a CD-R i can fil 3 of these vids about 600MB all up right so i want to put them on DVD so i could fit about 15 of these vids on 1 DVD insted of 4 or 5 CD-R's when it converts the avi's to DVD format the files become about 600MB to 1 gig some of them & there are only 200MB in avi i just want to put 15 of then on 1 disc to play in my dvd player

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Crusty666, Welcome to aD -

You can almost do what you want with 2 DVD's. Using a proggy like DVD Shrink you can put your DVD compliant files into it and compress them within limits. You can easily compress 7 1/2 GB onto a single DVD but you'll never put 15 GB there.

At least you've cut your DVD numbers down.

cheers

7. Crusty666

Crusty666 Member

hi ScubaPete the files in avi are only 200MB but as soon as i put them on the dvd the expand to 600MB if not bigger is that normal a 200 MB file expanding that big (to 600-800MB)

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Crusty666,

When you convert your AVI files you are going to expand them, losing quality, then you want to compress them losing even more quality and then you wish to "over compress them" you'll find that will cost you even more quality.

Somewhere you have to deal with reality, you can't always do as you want and have a decent end result too.

As far as conversion - you can go with NeroVision (a 1 step proggy) then let DVD Shrink take those files and compress them OR to keep some more quality (a Lot more quality in my opinion) You can use TMPGEnc to go from your AVI's to DVD complainant MPEG then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to get your menus and convert your files to VOB's. THEN, DVD Shrink can easily take those, compress them with high quality settings then you can burn to disc and have the best possible.

You probably will still be at the 2 Disc level though but it should be OK watching -

cheers

Pete

9. Crusty666

Crusty666 Member

cool thx pete, thats all wanted know if it could be done but it cant.
    thx all

Crusty

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hey Pete, I see you joined Nephilim up there. Now he won't be all alone up on that hilltop. Congrats.

Jerry

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Crusty,

I did not mean to imply anything of the sort. You'll never get it to DVD quality and it will be larger than when you started out. It does take time - let Mr. PC work on it overnight :)

Pete

PS Jerry, turn your attention to:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/102943

Ketola showed it to me :(
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004