1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Files change after burning (?) Please help [win98SE]

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by wildriff, Aug 5, 2003.

1. wildriff

wildriff Member

Hello mates,

I have a new laptop and have been transferring all my files by burning them into a series of data CDRs and have run into what seem to be burning errors. Some of the files that were previously recognized as MP3s or Word documents, etc, appear on the burned disc without the proper icon (ie, the blank Windows icon given to a file when it doesn’t recognize it), and with a different name. The titles are changed to weird file names like “ü”, “G_” or “Ó” and can’t even be copied (I get an error message when it tries to copy the file to the new computer). Does anyone know the explanation for this? I’d greatly appreciate any help.

Also...I may as well ask this while I’m at it, even though it’s not burning-related. I also want to completely clear the old computer because I’m selling it to a friend. Now, I know that much can be cleared by going to Settings -> Taskbar&Start Menu ->Clear…but there’s still things left in the memory when I go to the subject line when composing a mail, or for Google searches, etc, and I’d like to clear it all.

Thanks so much for your help!

Cheers,
    J.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2003
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Does the drive read other cds?
    2. Do other drives read that cd?
    3. Dust/scratches?
    4. Virus?