1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Files turning into gibberish

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by jxt, Apr 11, 2007.

1. jxt

jxt Member

After I reformatted my comp, I've found that files I used to be able to see in Japanese are now in gibberish. I can see japanese usually, but for some reason when I download using Azureus, some files turn into horribly long gibberish names that my comp doesn't always handle. It's rather annoying to almost complete a download, only for your comp to deem the file name too long to process.

I have east asian languages installed and all that stuff, and I normally have no trouble at all seeing japanese stuff, so I'm assuming it's something to either do with Azureues or torrent files.

My question is: Is there anything I can do to get my torrent files to function correctly? It's getting bothersome to have to rename all those files...

P.S. Not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this, but I figured since Azureus seemed to be the source of the problem, this would prolly be the place it would go.

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Does it just turn the files into an arabic, cyrillic or hebrew script, or does it just churn out long strings of code ? *a screenshot would be handy at this point, in any case*

3. jxt

jxt Member

Well, I'm horribly not computer savvy so I dunno how to screenshot azureus. But it turns into a bunch of square thingies and some stuff that looks like combinations or variations of the english alphabet along with some numbers, though I think the numbers are part of the orignal file name. There were also some symbols, like percentage or a high dash thingie. I dunno what language that counts as, I just thought it was a random assortment of stuff.

I'm not sure how helpful this will be in comparison to a screenshot, but this is a copy/pasted filename of one of the files. Dunno if it will work, but yeah.

‚È‚ª‚³‚ê‚Ä—•—–“‡ ‘æ02˜b �u’Ç‚¢‚©‚¯‚ç‚ê‚Ä–¹“a�v (1280x720 DivX611 120f ‚Ó)

and

‚Ð‚Æ‚Ð‚ç ‘æ03˜b �u�‰•‘‘ä�v (AT-X 704x396 DivX611 120f ‚Ó)

no clue what the heck it says, except for the obvious parts.

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

5. jxt

jxt Member

That fix doesn't seem to be applicable here, or something. My interface language settings is set to english, and I've tried it on japanese as well. There's nothing wrong with the menus, it's just that some files end up being garbled. Before I reformatted my computer, I remember those files being read as japanese, so I know what they're supposed to look like, but they're just not turning out the way they're supposed to or something. If I had to guess, I'd say that sometime between the download of the torrent file, and the creation of the file being downloaded something isn't reading the japanese correctly? I dunno, I really have no clue >_<