1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film teacher needs help ripping portions of a DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by davede70, Feb 9, 2005.

1. davede70

davede70 Member

I have searched and searched and have yet to find an answer to this question, I have clicked through several topics, but none seem to tie in as well as I would like to.

I teach a film class and I need to rip just sections of DVDs to demonstrate different film techniques. I started off using ImToo to rip just a chapter, edited the chapters down with NERO 6 and then burned them back onto a DVD-r with Nero. The problem was in the compression, the image looks horrible, especially when it is blown up to the size of a movie theater screen.

I have played around with ImToo but I can't seem to get the quality as good as I would like it.

I am guessing the low quality comes from the ripping, so here is what I need.

A ripping program that allows me to rip by chapter or by time, that does NO or very little compression.

From reading I know I need to avoid VCD and SVCD, but are programs that rip to Mpeg 1 files lowering the quality?

Thanks so much in advance, I have 5 coasters right now, and I really can't afford anymore.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If I was in your shoes I would use DVD Shrink to get the clips I wanted. It has a start/stop feature that will allow you to rip the exact parts that you want without doing any sort of compression or change of format so the quality will be exactly that of the original. Here's a link to a guide for using the start/stop feature in DVD Shrink:

http://dvdshrink.info/compilation.php

It's based on an older version of Shrink but the basic procedure is the same and here's a link to get Shrink (nice rhyme!):

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

Despite it's name DVD Shrink won't do any compression if you keep the size of the total compilation under 4,300MB :)

3. davede70

davede70 Member

Thanks for the response, I tried shrink but I didn't see a way to do it by chapter, but if it is in there I will play with it more to try and find it.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member