1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finalizing Build

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Eugene482, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Alright, this is the final of the final, means I already know what I will be getting (because I asked here) and this stuff is about 90% correct imo. Only critical changes? Ok, I finally decided to get these parts for my PC.

Gigabyte P35 DS3R (not p35c, not getting the ddr3)
    E6750 @ 2.66GHz
    eVga Geforce 8800GTS 320 mb
    2GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz Platinum XTC Revision 2
    Western Digital Caviar 500GB Sata II 16mb C.
    Antec 900 Black Steel Mid Tower
    Corsair HX Series 520W

Can anyone confirm that everything is alright with these parts? Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

2. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

They look fine to me and are compatible with each other.

Shouldn't come accross any problems that i can see.

I like the case, alot of airflow going through that alright eh lol.

3. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

thanks ^^ case was also recommended by people in this forum.

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yeah the rig looks to be a top notch rig. And that Antec 900 case is a sweet case for air cooling users.

5. REAM

REAM Guest

very nice.

with all that cooling, look into OverClocking it. if you do, i recommend the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme.

6. mrman

mrman Regular member

The only thing i would reccomdned would be to use the 500gig drive as a secondary storage drive and get a WD raptor as your c drive to run your OS and applications. This will greatly improove the performance of the machine.

7. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

kinda late notice. Already ordered. They didn't have any GA P35 DS3R so I went with the P5K motherboard LGA 775. Is it ok?

8. REAM

REAM Guest

IMO i prefer the p5k. it has buitl in WIFI, and looks sleeker, and is a better OCer, but it has a higher price, so this is to be expected.

9. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

I am sorry, I was talking about P5K. Just P5K which has no wi-fi.

I think you're talking about Deluxe version. But is P5K still good? And it's a bit cheaper than GA P35 DS3R.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  10. REAM

REAM Guest

its as good as its older brother in OCing. the major difference is the wifi and the DDR3.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That'll be a good system. The CPU is very fast, the graphics card is pretty fast too, the Power supply is excellent, and the case is good.
    My only warnings are:

The 500GB WD drives are prone to technical problems, you may be fine, but suffice to say both the ones I've had have been faulty. Neither have directly lost me any data, but both trigger the SMART warnings that they are failing and need replacement, and have different problems with writing. It's a shame because all the other WD drives I have are good.

Also, unless the 900 case has been redesigned, it's very difficult to install the hard drives. You will NEED a magnetic screwdriver or two people to do it. It's hard to explain why right now, but when you get the case you'll see why.

12. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Hey could you comment on that plain P5K mobo? I think it's nicked to "vanilla".

Oh also, about building, I have a choice, I get the parts and build it myself, or I let them build it for me for free and they give me warranty. Pretty cool huh?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For free? Go for it! Last time I did that I had to pay £40 for the privilege.

14. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Very cool!

15. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Darn I can't wait, I called him and he said everything is assembled. But now is the weekend start so they'll be closed.

Oh, umm so when it says motherboard requires SP2 it's probably because of the Driver versions that are only compatible with SP2? I guess I'll have to download a lot of updates before I can actually use anything, but the CPU doesn't have a driver right? Hopefully.

16. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Thanks you guys. I got my PC, installed OS and it's very fast. I mean jumping from P4 1.8GHz to this. The case is so bright I mean the blue LEDs. There were lots of trouble at the retailer, but in the end it all went fine. I just can't find a good file to test my GPU with :(. I tried installing Lost PLanet demo but it didn't work. Now I am installing some russian version Test Drive Unlimited. Anyways, thanks for all your help. This PC is great.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice.

Do you not have any powerful games to test it with?

18. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Atm I have Stalker, Test Drive Unlimited and Command and Conquer 3. Recommendations? Thanks.

Oh also, when I installed OS, I only 130GB because it was still SP1. Now I updates to SP2, and it still shows 130GB, do I need to do something? Thanks.

Oh oops, I also have OCz mail-in rebate. So do I cut out the BAR code (UPC) out of original product, fill out their rebate form, give a copy of my receipt and mail it to them?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  19. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yes, do exactly that.

As for you harddrive question, I would rip my Windows CD and then integrate Service Pack 2 into the install so that when you install windows it is all up to date. That should hopefully fix your 130Gb harddrive problem.

20. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Umm, actually the "partitioning part" of installation is looong before you even start installing XP. Like, after you set the order of booting device (dvd rw) then the blue installation screen appears. Could someone help me get the rest of Hard-drive space? I currently have 127GB of total space. I don't really think I want to do any major things like integrating SP2 on the same CD. (idek how to do that). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. imo I am already running low on space.

btw peainapod, your sig shows I am using Windows XP, but when I go to system, it shows I use Windows XP SP2. ...........?