1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefox Saved Passwords Help

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by jazo132, Mar 11, 2007.

1. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Hey all. I recently changed the password of a few of my email addresses that were saved with Firefox. But, since the saved passwords are no longer the passwords that work, I deleted them in hopes to make another saved password. But I can't seem to figure out how to make a new one. Any help? Thanks.

Jazo

2. tmr250z

tmr250z Guest

Do you mean you went to Tools->Options->Security Tab, clicked "Show Passwords" and then clicked "Remove All"? If you did that then all your passwords should be gone. To save new passwords, just log in manually to a selected site. Then Firefox should ask you if you want to remember the new password, if so you click "Remember" and it will save the password as it logs you into the site.

3. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

That's the problem. Since I deleted them, it's not asking me for the passwords anymore so I need to find a way to manually add them back in.

4. tmr250z

tmr250z Guest

Oh, okay, that's weird. Well I'll go searching and hopefully I'll be back with a solution. But just for clarification:

What version of Firefox are you using?

In the Tools->Options-> Security Tab, in the Passwords section, is "Remember saved passwords for sites" checked?

And in that same section when you click the "Exceptions" button, is the new window that pops up empty?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
  5. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

I have the latest version of Firefox, 2.0.0.2. In the exceptions part it has the Firefox things on there, that's not the problem. Because when I go onto new sites, it still asks me if I want to save the password. My problem is for sites that I already had passwords saved for but I deleted. Thanks for the help.

Jazo

6. tmr250z

tmr250z Guest

Okay, I've discovered the update from Firefox 2.0.0.1 to 2.0.0.2 broke password handling of Firefox for some people. The devs changed the way that passwords operate because of an auto complete vulnerability with saved passwords that could allow someone to steal your info by you just logging into a site. But with this new fix that is implemented in 2.0.0.2, it screws up passwords because it changed the text that Firefox saves its passwords from signons.txt to signons2.txt. They say that this will hopefully be fixed in 2.0.0.3.

At the MozillaZine Forum, there are long threads of possible fixes that I'm still trying to read through to help, so let's try this first:

1. Close Firefox and download CCleaner here, and run it to clean out FF cache and temp files.

2. Go to your profile folder and delete the signons2.txt file and the signons.txt file if you have it. Your profile folder is here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows login/user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<Profile name>\

3. Start Firefox and try to see if it works now.

7. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Well it was happening before I updated to the most recent one so I'm pretty sure that's not the reason why.

8. tmr250z

tmr250z Guest

Okay, fine then. Could you at least try what I posted anyway so I can rule a few things out?

9. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Yea I did and no improvement.

10. tmr250z

tmr250z Guest

Alright, this has really got me stumped because I've found the only ones that have problems with passwords and all are the ones that upgrade their Firefox to 2.0.0.2. But since your problem has existed before then, I don't think any of the fixes there will help. I've never had this problem myself, so I don't know why yours could be messed up like this. Try this:

1. Download a new copy of Firefox here.

2. Uninstall Firefox and make sure its file in the programs directory is deleted, but make sure your own profile folder is still there where I previous stated.

3. Run CCleaner to clean the junk and while still in CCleaner, go to the Issues section, run a scan and fix the issues that are found.

4. Reboot your computer and reinstall Firefox, run it and see if it works.

If this doesn't work, then you may have to start from scratch and create a new profile, build it back up to what is now and then delete the old one.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
  11. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

I actually did that right before I updated to 2.0.0.2 with AFT-Cleaner. I don't think it's really a problem with Firefox, just something that I don't know how to do if that makes sense. Thanks!

Jazo

12. tmr250z

tmr250z Guest

Well, if its not Firefox itself, then its a problem with your current profile specifically. It could be a conflict from an extension or your profile could have been corrupted some how or any number of things. I wish could be of more help to you, maybe someone else will find a solution to your problem. If not and you can't figure it out yourself, then start over with a new profile. You can create a new profile by going to Start->Run, then type "firefox.exe -profilemanager" (w/o the quotes) and follow the instructions given from there.

13. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Okay thanks for all your help.