1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire DVD Burners - DaisyChained

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dvdto, Aug 16, 2004.

1. dvdto

dvdto Member

I currently have an external Sony 4X burner hooked up via Fireware connection. I'd like to add another external firewar burner to it. Can I burn simultaneously to both burners - either the same image, or two seperate images? Does any of it depend on the system memory and/or processor speeds? Thanks!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

I wasn't aware it's possible to daisy chain burners but at any rate I wouldn't recommend doing it. Burning DVDs takes a lot of bandwith just for one so trying to feed two burners through a single connection to the PC sounds like a great way to make coasters in a hurry.

I don't believe it's even possible to burn two different images simultaneously. It may be possible to burn the same image to two external burners both of which are connected to the PC via their own cable but you shouldn't get your hopes up too high.

3. dvdto

dvdto Member

You can daisy chain up to 46 Firewire devices together. So in theory, I thought it would be possible to use two Firewire burners. Do you think it also depends on processor speed?

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Very true but they didn't figure burners into that spec.

Burning a single DVD will just about saturate firewire's available bandwidth and take around 20% of your CPU's resources (a very general estimate) so the actual burn process relies more on the available bandwidth of your burners data connection - PATA, SATA, USB or FireWire - than it does the CPU speed :)