1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire 'port' doesn't seem to work.

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by angus999, Feb 21, 2007.

1. angus999

angus999 Regular member

I'm trying to transfer from my Sony HC24 MimiDV camcorder to my PC using a firewire cable.

Whichever program I open to facilitate the transfer, the device (Sony cam) isn't recognised.

I've had a 'play' around, turning it on and off etc but to no avail.

The Control Panel Device Manager says that the device (firewire port) is working correctly!

Any ideas what I can try?

Thanks in advance

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

First thing to check if you have a hardware problem or if it is the software that you are using.
    When you connect your camcorder and turn it to VCR mode, you should hear a sound and an icon of the camcorder appears in the right lower corner of the toolbar. Next check in the device manager if you see the camcorder under imaging devices. If that is all OK, try a imple program like WinDV to do the transfer.

3. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Thanks for the reply TPFKAS, I'm getting no icon or sound at all.

The 'imaging devices' you mention, is that in Device Manager, as I don't have that title in either Control Panel or Device Manager!

Think I'm going to have to try my cam and cable on a mate's PC!!

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Yep, it shuold be in the device manager.
    Apparently you have a defect in either your Firewire card, your cable of camcorder and it is a good idea tor try the cam on another PC to rule out that it is the camcorder or cable.

5. t1m103

t1m103 Member

is the firewire card enabled in network connections?,it normaly says
    1394 conection.

6. beachpoet

beachpoet Member

Sometimes when you connect a cam after computer starts it won't be recognized. Hook up your cam before starting your computer and see if it helps. Do not run your cam ever on a firewire port hooked to a hard drive.
    You will be operating your camera in VCR mode. Make sure you aren't turning it on in video record mode. Make sure your cam is coming on, check the monitor or viewfinder.
    If your card has different ports, try them (using the technique of switching ports before Win starts.
    If you have more than one computer, try the cam on them.
    Make sure you have the FW cable plugged all the way into the cam. It has to snap in in order to work.
    Make sure you have a modern firewire card. If you had to load s/w to operate it, throw it away and buy a new one.
    Make sure your firewire port is not tied to some other device internally.
    Some software, like Studio, has s-vid, composite, and DV inputs. If you have it set on s-vid or composite, it won't see your cam, however, other s/w will.
    Avid is very cranky about seeing cams and I'm not sure that Pinnacle is much better. Get a copy of AM Capture which is a great piece of s/w to test with if nothing else.

7. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Thanks for the replies guys,

Yes, the 1394 is shown as enabled, connected and working properly.

I have tried all ways I can think of as far as starting up is concerned, i.e. PC off, cam off, on/off, off/on etc.

I have two ports both have been tried.

I have only one PC so cannot try the cable on another.

The cable is certainly pushed all the way home.

The PC/firewire card that came installed is about 3 yrs old.

I have tried various s/w including Sony's own 'Picture Package' but none see the camcorder.

I have just ordered a new firewire card and another cable. When they arrive I'll report back.

Thanks for now guys!

8. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Having ordered a new Firewire card I hope it's not a defect in your camcorder...

9. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Thanks TPFKAs and everyone. I couldn't wait for my new card/cable to come via post so I went out and bought new.

After all the hassle I've had, it turns out that all that was wrong was my 'new' cable had been defective.

I bought a new firewire card c/w cable and installed them. Started up straight away on boot up.

I tried the latest cable (that came with the firewire card) and that worked on my old f/w card too.

Tried my original cable and it would not with either!

The card new card/cable only cost £12 so that implication is okay and the one I ordered off the internet is only £6 so a total of £18 out of pocket really isn't too bad.

So all in all, as I say, it was the cable at fault even though it was brand new.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

10. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Glad to hear that you've solved the problem.
    Have fun with your Firewire transfer. You'll also love the device control with which you can now control the camcorder from within your capture program :)

11. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Yeah, found that already, that's dead handy :)