1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire VS. USB 2.0

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mustang69, Jun 21, 2003.

1. mustang69

mustang69 Member

Hello all:
    Total newbie here just looking to purchase hardware. I will be backing up my PS2 games with an external DVD-r burner. Which is better to use Firewire or USB 2.0?? Is there really a difference between the two?? I will be using external because I have a laptop.
    Thanks
    Mustang69

2. golden_35

golden_35 Regular member

NOt a dumb quetion at all! I also have a laptop and i am purchasing an external tv tuner capture card and am wondering...firewire os usb 2.0. I think that the numbers are (correct me if im wrong) 480 mb/s for usb 2.0 and 420 mb/s for firewire. So i think usb 2.0 has a slight advantage but after reading reviews, i am still not sure because i heard that they are both faster in their own way? haha. Any suggestions guys? (by the way, did you hear about that x3d? You can play games and watch tv on your pc and the pictures will be in 3d and you wear glasses?????? Think it'll happen or is it a crock?).

3. marvin378

marvin378 Member

I have a USB 2.0 hook-up on my laptop. It took me a while to get it going as I have to do the bios on my laptop. It works like a dream now.

4. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

I have used both and I think that USB 2.0 was better. I had some data problems sometimes w/ the firewire but have had no problems just smoothness w/ the USB 2.0.

5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

To be honest there is nothing out there can use the full speed potential of either USB 2.0 OR Firewire so it really doesn't matter. But for what you want/need either one would do fine. If you have USB 2 already setup on your PC & MB then go for that, since it is the more widely used format.

6. Ray_D_O

Ray_D_O Member

just make sure if you're using usb 2.0 with windows xp, that you have service pack 1 installed.