1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FireWire

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by blueboar, Feb 13, 2005.

1. blueboar

blueboar Member

i am confuse... 4 pin? 6 pin? firewire 800? can someone give me some info about those things?

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

What is it that confuse you ?

FireWire is a trademark of Apple Computers to cover their external bus transporter. It's also known as I.Link , or Lynx depending on the company that uses it.

It is based on the IEEE 1394 Standard and is nothing more then an external bus that can support data transfer rates of UP to 400Mbps in the (a -- Firewire400) version and 800Mbps in the (b -- Firewire800) version.

A IEEE 1394 port can normally support at least 60 external devices and has an isochronous data delivery -- the data is delivered at a guaranteed rate -- making it ideal for device in need to cope with video signals , that are streamed at High Level in real time.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2005
  3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

just wanted to add that the new firewire 800 has a different 9 pin square shaped plug as opposed to the 4/6 pin firewire 400 ones. At least apple was smart and made it backwards compatible, but you have to buy 800 to 400 adapters....not very smart. Here's a link with more detailed info

http://8help.osu.edu/1249.html

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Very nice link Dj !! I have bookmarked the page for future answers on the same subject --ir will save a lot of typing and head scratching to put words in that make sense to A/all.

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah just happened to come across it while doing a google search one day. seemed pretty thorough so I thought I'd share it.