1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware flashing vs. mod chip, sharing what I got from hours of research. (Also a proper way to post a question on a forum - Oner)

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by anas9, Jan 28, 2007.

1. anas9

anas9 Member

so, I'm at work, researching this subject and reached a point where i think i get it. here is what i understand.

My Goal:
    To be able to back up games i own on a hard drive or a blank DVD and play my games from the back up. basically, store the original in it's case to protect it. the point is, if i badly scratch the back up copy i have, all i need to do is create a new back up copy. Or keep the backup copy on an HD forever.

My understanding
    To accomplish the above Goals i can either get a modchip (example: NME-360) or flash the firmware following the guide attached in http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/386475#2770896
    From what i have gathered, using the modchip NME-360, i cannot play online (Xbox Live), since it's detectable. it even has a feature that it turns itself off when i have an original game playing. so i can play online.
    BurningAs in the above thread said i can play online (Xbox live?) with the flashed firmware.
    At this point, I'm also assuming that i can backup the original firmware and restore it in case i ever needed to send my console for service, Please, Correct me if i'm wrong

Summery
    there is no reason for a person to get the chip, i save money and play online with the hacked firmware. right?

Wondering
    Why is the chip being developed, it's very new BTW. what are the disadvantages of flashing firmwares or advantages of using a mod.

Your input is appreciated.

Cheers

2. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

firmware is best- fastest easiest cheapest

3. anas9

anas9 Member

Sweet, thanks for the reply, any thoughts about:
    "At this point, I'm also assuming that i can backup the original firmware and restore it in case i ever needed to send my console for service. Please, Correct me if i'm wrong "

Assuming i am able to back up to the orig.bin firmware. Are there risks that the firmware flash is detected? how low or high is the risk?

cheers

4. anthonyp9

anthonyp9 Member

You can flash the original back if you plan on paying for service, but not under warranty, because to flash the firmware you will have to break the warrany seal, thus voiding the warranty.

5. modster

modster Regular member

recommend flash firmware, many people have issues with modchips.

cheers

6. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to aD anas9, I wish all new comers to this site did EXACTLY what you did. That has to be one of the best "first posts" I have seen, so much so I am going to put it in my signature for a little while, I also edited your thread title so people will read it and hopefully learn.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  7. Nolyrics2

Nolyrics2 Member

What and where warranty seal?

8. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

take off the face plate and its right on the front of the console and it is silver, if you pull it its going to leave silver traces on the console so they know that the warranty was voided, best way to get it off is using a hair dryer and a razor blade

9. steimy

steimy Active member

Best best firmware aroiund right now is the Xtreme52, but it is only for those who have Samsung drives in their 360.

As far as warranty, yes 95% of people who mod the system will lose their warranty. I iwll have to ask my friend how he did mine, because he can take off the warranty sticker without damage and put it on wax paper. That way you can re-apply it if you ever need to.

It is a very smart idea to put both the original firmware and hacked firmware files on a disc in case you ever need them. So far i have not had any problems on Xbox Live or with any of the game or system updates that have downloaded.

Playing games from the hard drive, unfortunatly, is not yet possible from what i know. The only games i can play from the hard drive are games downloaded from XBL.

Hope you enjoy your modded 360. A nice addition since you have to open it anyway would be the following.
    1. a Talismoon fan upgrade
    2. The Blaster360 kit for later flashing which once installed will allow you to flash the drive when newer firware comes out without having to open the console each time ( i think the X360 USB kit is also needed for Hitachi drives)
    3. they have some pretty sweet controller shells and cases out there as well. The Black Night Chameleon and the chrome case look really hot.
    4. and if your TV supports it the VGA cable you can buy is the way to go.

here is a good mod site with a nice collection of things to look at.
    http://www.extreme-mods.com/xbox-360-c.html