1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware Hack or ModChip

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by erik1213, May 1, 2007.

1. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

Hi, I looked over the tutorials for the firmware hacks for the 360 but am still confused so I just have a few quick questions.

Should I use the firmware hack or a modchip?

The firmware hack seems a little complicated and it seems like I would have to flash my drive as updates are provided. This seems to be made easy by the Blaster360 however. (Not sure, but is there soldering with the Blaster360?) I've looked at modchips and I like the NME360, any suggestions? I do not mind soldering wires, and would prefer to if it means i would only have to take apart the xbox once.

With a modchip, do I still need to flash the dvd drive, and do I have to do updates on the chip?

I'm just looking for a one time solution so I can make backups of my games and play them. Xbox Live isn't an issue as I don't play games online. It seems like the NME360 would require just to solder it and that's it. Nothing else necessary after that except to backup the games.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I've searched and can't find these exact answers.

Thank You!!!

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. theridges

theridges Guest

As i have never played or even tried one of the chips i would have to recommend Flashing your drive...in all actuality it is very simple and once you get the process down can take less than 3 minutes to do....

no you dont have to solder with the blaster360....

and i think the modchips have like 19 wires or something and little soldering points so ou have to be a pretty skilled person with the soldering iron...

3. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

The NME360 only has 11 for hitachi drives (which is what i have) which is lower than most other chips. But thanks, I'll keep looking into flashing to see if i can wrap my head around it.

4. theridges

theridges Guest

5. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

So, i went with the flashing and i have a quick question.

Is it okay after i have already flashed my drive to update the backwards compatibility from microsoft? I downloaded a copy of the original Halo NTSC version because i don't yet have the samsung dvd-rom drive that can read xbox games (it's shipping should be here friday). I couldn't wait to try and see if a burn game would work and it loaded the xbox logo but then i got an error message with the codes x: 5014.0 B: 1884.0. I looked it up online and found that it was compatibility issues, but before I update i want to be sure i won't have to re-flash my xbox drive again.

6. theridges

theridges Guest

do you have a Harddrive?
    also have you played any new 360 games or have live?
    what version drive do you have?

7. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

I have the standard 20GB Hard drive that comes with the premium system. I have the Hitachi drive 0047 version. I don't have a subscription to Xbox Live and the newest 360 games i have played on my system are Lost Planet and Gears of War, but mostly i've been playing Burnout 3: Takedown for the original xbox (this is the original game though, not a backup).

8. theridges

theridges Guest

then its okay to update the list...it dont matter if you have already flashed your drive or not :)