1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

firmware update problem, please help

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by HazelB, Apr 13, 2008.

1. HazelB

HazelB Member

Lite-On CD-RW/DVD-ROM Model LTC-48161H does not recognize its firmware update.

The drive is detected by my software as a LTC-48161H-KPH9. I took it out and see that it has a F/W:KPH9 tag on it. It also has a V/M:LILTC-18161H tag.

The response from Lite-on says it all:
    Please refer to the place you purchased it from. This drive is not our responsibility. We do not know what the KPH9 means.

It will read both CDs and DVDs, but will not burn CDs. So, I thought, maybe a firmware upgrade?

Does anyone know what this is?

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You could try updating the firmware, but my guess is the burner is dying.

You could trying deleting it in Device Manager, then rebooting, to see if that solves the problem.

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

ya reinstall the drivers and see how that comes out

BOOT INTO SAFE MODE (JUST DO IT!!)
    1)Start>My computer> right click >properties
    2)hardware tab
    3)device manager
    4)CD-ROM/DVD drives (names will differ) right click uninstall drive
    5) restart into windows
    6)upon login you will prompted to install new hardware if not go start>control panel> (make sure your in category view, left hand corner box to enable this)> "Printers and other hardware" >left hand corner "Add hardware", not "ADD PRINTER"
    once done you may reboot

-tripplite

5. HazelB

HazelB Member

Thanks for the quick answers. The bad news: been there, done all that. Even removed the drive physically, rebooted, then put it back. Tried it as master, single, and slave.

And, I wasn't clear, the drive will burn older, slower disks. It won't burn the newer, faster media.

What seems to happen is that the drive comes up identified with that odd add-on identifier -KPH9. The firmware update doesn't like it.

That's what I don't understand.

Any thoughts?

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I'd dump that burner and get a new one. New DVD burners are really inexpensive now.

7. HazelB

HazelB Member

Yes, costs are not great, unless disposable income per month is almost zero on a fixed income.

So, I can't afford a mistake. What replacement would you suggest? And why?

I feel very comfortable on-line with Newegg. Is there another vender you suggest?

Thanks...

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I use Newegg for most of my purchases. Pioneer, Liteon, NEC, Plextor, and Samsung are all good.

I am still using my BenQ drives, that I got over 2 years ago. BenQ doesn't make drives anymore. I believe that they sold out to Liteon.

9. tripplite

tripplite Guest

you can get a lite-on for only like 30$, with DL and lightscribe:)

10. varnull

varnull Guest

The KPH9 flag refers to the OEM builder of the system.. In this case probably HP/Compaq. There is no firmware update available from HP/Compaq for these drives

They are grotty outmoded drives anyway. The common fault with any combo drive is the burning side dies first. It's the laser and nothing you can do will repair it. It is still worth hanging on to as they are generally reliable as cd/dvd rom drives.. good for running into the ground with reading disks instead of putting the disk read work cycles through your new burner.

Replace with pioneer (IMHO the best available in the low priced burners) Lite-on I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.. sorry tripp ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2008
  11. HazelB

HazelB Member

Thanks, Varnull. That's the exact information I was looking for. Yes, it is from an old HP, and I also suspected that Pioneer was a good choice for a replacement.

I volunteer at a recycling non-profit that also sends recycled PCs to third world countries. In exchange for hours worked, we can get an old PC and sometimes parts, as the suply allows. They might exchange this CD-ROM for another that still has some life left.

I have learned quite a bit about computers from them.

12. varnull

varnull Guest

Same trade as me. I recycle old machines back into the community as web browsers and low end desktop "student" workstations. Any pentium 2's seem to end up in my cluster.