1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First DL burn (Verbatim - DVD Decrypter)

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Lathe, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Lathe

Lathe Member

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place; I tried to check first carefully : )

Okay, I'm ready to burn my VERY first DL DVD and back up some of my very favorite films ('2001', 'A Clockwork Orange' [REMASTERED PRINTS] You get the idea...) After doing some research, Verbatim (sp?) sounded pretty solid. So I've got all these slick ISO's on my HD just waiting and I burn my first DL disc (Pioneer 111D - firmware 1.29) I burn '2001'... Perfect! I put it in my DVD player... Fine.

NOW, I go to burn the other ISO's (ALL created with DVD Shrink EXACTLY the same way - no tweaks or changes, just straight ISO rips) and I put the 2nd disc in to burn 'A Clockwork Orange' and the disc starts its processing and BAM! I get this error message:

UNABLE TO RECOVER TOC

So, what the h*ll! I do this with 3 discs and ALL the exact same thing. Now, if the 1st disc hadn't burned so beautifully I would suspect some kind of compatibility issue. But from one disc to the next THIS happens! To 3 discs in a row; they can't ALL be bad, can they?

If anyone can help as to why all of the sudden my burner would just refuse to burn any more discs, that sure would be appreciated. It sure would be nice if I didn't just throw away $40 for 20 DL discs that suddenly won't burn!

Thanks!

L@the

2. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

I used to have th same problem.What I would do is burn 1 DL movie then reset my computer and wait till everything loads correctly and then proceed with the next ISO burn. I think it's because the burner gets a little too hot(overheated) and causes burns to fail.Hope this helps.

3. Lathe

Lathe Member

Hmmm, interesting; the SAME thing happened to you? The SAME error message? Curious...

Well, I did actually reboot and try again, but with no success. On this drive I have burned like 10 to 15 Single Layer DVDs in a row with no hitches at all.

I wonder WHY the heck after one DVD it started doing this. BTW, for all you KNOWLEDGABLE people out there, I did try downloading and using another burn engine instead of DVD Decrypter; and when I tried to burn the ISO image, after about the same amount of time initializing a prompt came up saying 'Disc Surface Damaged'. Do you suppose that something actualy COULD be wrong with the other 5 discs I tried? Like the 1st one was fine but the others arent???

Sure is weird all right; PLEASE keep those suggestions coming!

Thanks!

L@the

4. cartjunky

cartjunky Member

A common symptom for DMA mode not being enabled on your dvd drive.

5. Lathe

Lathe Member

Ah...; well, all drives and such to my knowledge have always been DMA enabled; but, I DID just do a firmware upgrade on the drive (Pioneer 111D) I wonder if I have to re-enable the DMA after that. I'll check it.

Also, a tiny update; of about 15 DL discs so far, I have burned only 3 successfully. One fellow here suggested only burning when FIRST booting up in the morning, and that worked the very first time and I got one more disc done. Then I kept trying that and it didn't work except just one more time.

I'll check to see if the DMA in enabled. It sure is a bl**dy shame to have spent $40 on the Verbatim DL discs for nothing.

Thanks!

L@the

6. Lathe

Lathe Member

Yeah, I just checked; both IDE channels are DMA enabled : (

Thank you kindly anyway; who knows, maybe I just got 17 bad discs outta 20... What luck! : )

Do you suppose I should try another brand? I've heard that Verbatim are very good though. Is it possible that that MANY of the discs could actually be bad...???

Thanks!

7. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

no it's not the discs but rather something with your burner.could have been slightly damaged if you didn't update the firmware before burning the DL discs.I know I fried my burner once when I was a newbie to this burn process thing and firmware.Now that I am a seasoned vet to this burning and firmware,I haven't had a problem at all.

8. Lathe

Lathe Member

Hmmm, well, I appreciate the thought, but I've updated drive firmware a number of times before and I followed the procedure properly this time too.

Also, I just burned my 4th successful DL DVD today; the fellow that suggested that I try right after start up has been right SOME of the time : ) So, clearly, the burner is doing the job perfectly SOMETIMES; that's the bugger about it. It has not been consistent; either the drive is functioning right or it isn't; it's fairly new and it burns ALL single layer DVDs just fine. And, it has burned 4 out of about 15 successfully with the Verbatim DL DVDs...

So, the mystery is...

WHY...???

Again, I created all the ISO images exactly the same way with DVD Shrink uncompressed and intact. The weird thins is, for example, is that I tried to burn 'A CLOCKWORK ORANGE' like 7 times with no success; BUT, finally right after a cold start up, I tried again with yet ANOTHER disc of the unused ones left, and BAMMO! A perfect burn...

So..., what changed...??? Same burner, same software, same ISO image, different disc. I still find it hard to believe the all those Verbatim are bad...

Thanks guys!

L@the

9. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

What burning prog are you using?...

10. Lathe

Lathe Member

Heh heh..., I appreciate the help guys, I REALLY do, HONEST! But, do you actually read the title of this post : ) DVD Decrypter!

BTW, I squeezed out 1 more good burn the other day by doing it cold right after start up, so that was nice. I've gotten a total of 4 good burns so far and I'm holding my breath...

Again, for those of you who may just be happening along and may have some KILLER suggestions, here is the deal.

DVD DECRYPTER
    Verbatim DL DVD+R (20 DVDs - $40)
    ISO's created by DVD SHRINK (straight ripping / NO compression)
    Pioneer 111D (newest firmware 1.29)

RESULTS: 1st disc tried, PERFECT burn... LOVELY!
    Next 5 discs would NOT burn - ERROR 'CANNOT RECOVER TOC'
    Another successful, PERFECT burn, right after cold start up
    Next 4 discs would NOT burn (same as above)
    Another successful, PERFECT burn...

And basically more of the same...

Pretty weird huh...?

I appreciate all the help and suggestions though; it would just be NICE to figure out what the H*LL is going on and mainly WHY!

Thanks!

L@the of Heaven

11. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Ah yes burning with Decrypter never occurs to me. I've never burned DL so I can only tell you what I've read which is Imgburn is the program to use - everything else causes problems...

12. Lathe

Lathe Member

Thank you kindly! I should probably give that one a try.

L@the

13. Lathe

Lathe Member

Okay, just an update (on the HOPEFULL chance someone may still be able to help : )

So far out of my 20 DL Verbatim discs I have been able sucessfully to burn 8 of them (which I can live with, but...) AND, so far the main suggestion that has seemed to help in THESE cases is I have ONLY been sucessful on these occasions when I first started up COLD and I did it in exactly this way:

1. Started DVD Decryper
    2. Chose the ISO file to burn
    3. THEN put the DL disc in the drive

The last few sucessful times I noticed that I did it just that way. However the last few times that I have tried lately, NO GO...

So, I thought I would THIS time include captures of the EXACT error messeges that I am getting from DVD Decrrypter, and you GURUS out there may make something of it. I hope this works; I'm gonna try to attach 5 small GIF files here in sequence:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There... HOPEFULLY the images are showing and HOPEFULLY SOMEONE will be able to interpret them.

Thanks!