1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first dvd backups - weird burn

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by stingray0, Oct 20, 2004.

1. stingray0

stingray0 Member

well i just got a dvd external drive during the www.woot.com woot-off... 95 bucks for a sony drx 500ul... from what i've done so far its worked great, although i tried backing up a movie using dvd shrink and nero 5.5. Whenever i tried playing it back it started off fine, i figured it was ok and left it at that, and then the next day i tried watching it and after maybe 30 minutes the picure gets messed up and it skips to the end of the movie. i used memorex 8x dvd-r media because it was all that the local store had, i understand the media is junk, but if it started playing fine why would it mess up like that. i also would like to know if the 50 packs of verbatim are ok for dvd back ups, like this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&skuId=6261047&id=1072284521117&cmp=++
    i have like 100 best buy bucks so i'd like to get some good media there... are all verbatim disks good for dvd backup?

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Verbatim is probably the best media available from Best Buy ...

3. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

There are several Verbatim brand discs to choose from. Which are more recomended? The Verbatim dataLife Plus, Verbatim DataLife, or if I recall there was a Verbatim brand Movie discs.

4. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I believe that the movie discs (the ones with the movie reel on them) are the best followed closely by the pluses, but I think that any of the three is going to pretty good ...

5. blktalon

blktalon Member

Check out the link below for more info:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Basically, many companies do not manufacture their own media so you are taking an unnecessary risk IMHO(unless the store has an awesome return policy like Costco). You can use DVD identifyer or even software that may come with your drive to detect the manufacturer code of the media before burning to it.

Bad media is often a combination of poor manufacture and poor materials(i.e. the dye). The dye spread may vary too much during production which would account for part of the data playback to function properly while the rest doesn't.

6. stingray0

stingray0 Member

does anybody know anything about why it would have burned like that? or anything to try so it doesn't do that?....

would the media in the url be good for backing up movies?

7. TigraoZT

TigraoZT Guest

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

stingray0,
    The problems you are experiencing are charactoristics of poor quality media (freezing and pixelateing). Thats why most folk do not recommend memorex brand media. They buy from several manufactures and you never know what your going to get. You can use this tool to see who actually made your media. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ Then use this media guide. http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    You should have much better success with the verbatum media.

9. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Yea there are 4 different companys that manufacture memorex media. When I experimented with memorex dvd-r
    8x recording a few dvds the picture usually, if not always screwed up at the end of the picture. I use branded Ritek Ridata dvd-r 4x now and burn with no problems what so ever.

10. regor

regor Regular member

Hi stingray0 - Although I won't counter any response you've received so far, all worthy, I would humbly add that burning at a lower speed than the media is rated can result in better performance. I'm not saying buy cheap media and burn at a lower speed, but if you already have made an investment in lower-end media you can sometimes get better results from burning at a lower speed. i.e rated 8x, burn 4x; rated 4x, burn 2x; etc. Another means of saving your investment is to use these disks for data backup, i.e your HDD, but I'd still use the slower speed, and verify the backup.

My .02 for what it's worth. R

11. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Good advise regor ! Hey regor did you ever get the chance to try out CloneDVD2 ? If so how did you like the program ?

12. stingray0

stingray0 Member

alright, so i did this and they work fine, granted the quality may not be as great as what it COULD be, but for using cheap memorex media its working fine, burned at 2x and kept the final size about 3175.... or something like that, i used still pictures for the extras because i really don't watch them anyways... burned like 4 movies and no problems yet

going to best buy next weekend, i'll have probably about 100 best buy bucks... as far as their media goes, should i get the stack of 50 verbatim disks? or i think i saw TDK there... or should i just get the small packs of verbatim?

13. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... However ...

.. TDK is acceptable ..

RiDATA branded Ritek media rules!

14. regor

regor Regular member

Hi mcalister - Yes I did check out both CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD. My original intent was to offer an objective critique of all the programs I've now either used or have become familiar with, which are several. What forum do you suggest I post or is it appropriate to post to the original thread?

[bold]DVD Wizard Pro is best DVD Ripper Software with Video Game Copy and VHS to DVD Converter?[/bold]

Just trying to follow proper protocol, you know :)

Cheers, and thanks for reminding me. R
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]regor[/small]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  15. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

regor your a pretty cool dude but i sometimes wonder if you have stock in dvd wizard pro ?

16. regor

regor Regular member

hahaha, no, in fact I have quite a bit to say about DVDWP in my 'objective' critique. My question was whether I should post said critique to that thread, which happened to be:

DVD Wizard Pro is best DVD Ripper Software with Video Game Copy and VHS to DVD Converter?

That's all. I do have my favorites tho... guess you and others will have to wait for my commentary to find out which one(s) they might be. And what I like about them.

RDRR

17. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Rock on regor post away.