1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Impressions

Discussion in 'ratDVD discussion, help and suggestions' started by jayz, Jun 2, 2005.

1. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I have very mixed feelings about the first release of this software. I tested several movies and the best result was far from perfect.

Res Evil 2 - Quality set at 100 > the movie was unwatchable - huge blocks, pauses, skipping, freezing, etc.

Res Evil 2 - Quality set at 150 > Media Player gave me an error and could not play the file.

After the Sunset - Quality set at 95 > the movie plays fine but the video quality is unimpressive, when you pause then play, the sound starts but the video stays paused for a few seconds.

After the Sunset - Quality set at 125 > the movie plays fine and the video quality is not bad, when you pause then play, the sound starts but the video stays paused for a few seconds. Same in all cases.

Takes so long to convert one movie, testing is tedious.

Anyone successful using other software DVD players? I have tried Win, Power, Roxio, and Nero.

2. dinkel

dinkel Member

RatDVD outputs one file. First time I included everything when I ran radDVD. Took overnight default 95. Played in Win MediaPlayer 10. The sound played in K-Lite's mediaplayer, but not the vid. Even tho I turned off subtitles in setup and in Win MediaPlayer, they still appeared. The second time I ran ratDVD with just the menus, main movie and sound, but no subtitles. Took about 4 hours where shrink took far less time. Would like to be able to access the main menu half way thru movie so that chapters can be selected. Only can select chapters now at start up. Has anyone tried the output on a stand-alone player that can play windows media files or is WM10 not on the stand-alones yet? Interesting program and not bad if one needs to archive or scoot it across the internet.

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

According to the FAQ on the website it's their own brand new video compression format and therefore can't possibly be MPEG-1.

4. Igzorn

Igzorn Member

Hi,

i have tested ratdvd at the DVD Shamanic Princess. But the quality ist not so good. The settinge are 95 Quality.

The program work with a constant Bit Rate. But a Vbr was better for the quality and the the files are smaller.

A littel question.

Why do the 2ch AC-3 sound not kompress to MP3?

5. bkick

bkick Member

Actually, if I understand the faq correctly, it uses constant quality, which means it is VBR.

6. milfzor

milfzor Member

yea, from what i understand its set to VBR to get the same quality throughout the entire movie...those of you with playback problems, first off, its a known issue that the program doesnt properly deal with files larger than 4gb (that would primarly apply to people using the 150 setting) also the requirements for playback of the files are kinda steep.....they said somewhere around a 2-2.5ghz processor with at LEAST 256 ram, and a "decent" video card.

7. gazman2k3

gazman2k3 Member

I often wondered to myself why could divx or xvid couldnt make a sytem where they let you include the menue system and extras etc and have it all built into one divx or xvid file playable from the pc and then recode it back to DVD as an option if wanted and it seems now someone has finally done it called ratdvd in there own format, but its not that amazing of a format this rat DVD you know I mean what if xvid or divx did the same type of system with there codec’s imagine a movie encoded at 1.8 gigs in xvid or divx that would probley look even better than ratdvd compared to the normal 700 meg divx or xvid versions id like to see divx and xvid do the same no reason why they cant and one more thing that would be great would be for Xbox media center to play these files

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  8. milfzor

milfzor Member

the main thing your forgetting in reguards to that, is ratdvd has multiple audio tracks...thats what comprises a LOT of the filesize...ive seen dvd's with as many as 4 or 5 audio tracks...going at 200-300mb each thats a VERY large chunk of a 2gb file......

9. gazman2k3

gazman2k3 Member

yeh i know what your saying its just that i downloaded a ratdvd version of a movie yesterday and it was 1700 megs and had 1 audio track the movie went for 2 hours and 20 minutes and while it looked great quality and all i still thought to myself that if i encoded the same movie in a 1700 meg xvid file that would look extreemly good quality to so i still think they could easly bring out 1 click divx or xvid jobs with full menues and extras intact which would easly rival or be better quality than ratdvd,at least ratdvd has made the start hopefully xvid and divx will soon follow.Look how good a movie encoded in xvid looks when its only 700 megs imagin if they made it a 1700 meg xvid that would be unreal quality.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  10. tipex5

tipex5 Guest

hi all,
    i have been trying to use ratdvd but i keep getting an external exception error message when i try to compress or decompress. i have all the required software installed.
    this is the error report i am getting and would really appreciate it if anyone has any ideas.
    many thanks in advance

EurekaLog 4.6.4

Application:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    1.1 Start Date : Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:13:45 +0000
    1.2 Name/Description: ratDVD
    1.3 Version Number : 0.5.0.8
    1.4 Parameters :

Exception:
    ----------------------------------------------
    2.1 Date : Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:22:45 +0000
    2.2 Address: 064F1F2E
    2.3 Module : XEBTCD.ax
    2.4 Type : EExternalException
    2.5 Message: External exception C000001D.

Active Controls:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    3.1 Form Class : IEFrame
    3.2 Form Text : First Impressions - Microsoft Internet Explorer
    3.3 Control Class:
    3.4 Control Text :

Computer:
    --------------------------------
    4.1 Name : PBN_COMPUTER
    4.2 User : mark
    4.3 Total Memory: 510 Mb
    4.4 Free Memory : 207 Mb