1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First several seconds of movie stutters after encoding.

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by lajams, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. lajams

    lajams Member

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2004
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    11
    Wife picked up Tears Of The Sun SE for me recently (killer flick) and I began happily encoding it to mpeg-2 to dump onto my HTPC. Right at the beginning of the movie, there are ~three logos, then the movie starts with a shot of the rising sun.

    I previewed the AVI project in TMPG and it plays this first part fine. However, after encoding, I played the mpg2 and it starts the first logo, stutters a few times, skips the rest of the logos and the shot of the sun. I jumped through the movie and everything else looks great, looks like mainly a problem with the logos and the shot of the sun.

    I used the NTSC DVD Quality CQ 100 template, Highest Quality. Set the top four stuff as usual. Any ideas? I usually like to leave logos in as it looks cleaner and more "professional"...also, the music in the movie actually starts during the logos. Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

    LA.
     
  2. daemonzx6

    daemonzx6 Regular member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2004
    Messages:
    259
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    26
    I know this might not sound too good but, have you tried re-encoding it? It could be that it screwed up because of too many active processes. Also, do you dump the VOBs and stuff to your computer before encoding to MPEG2? That is recommended.
     
  3. lajams

    lajams Member

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2004
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    11
    Thats a very good recommendation. I definately shut off most everything. I didn't turn off Antivirus, but I have exceptions to cover where I'm dumping VOBs et al. I basically use AnyDVD to unlock the dvd, then use dvdshrink to re-author and dump vobs. I then use a frame-server and tmpeg-encoder 2.x to rip the WAV and do the encoding.

    I did re-encode last night and got the same issue. I found out that its due to a software codec on my system. Caused a huge cpu spike with the logos were playing (Columbia Pictures logo, then a couple others right after, then that fast-moving shot of the rising sun). The codec was just not robust enough to handle the quick-changing Logos.

    I pushed the file down to my server and fired it up on my MediaMVP and it worked just fine when decoding is done by hardware, so I guess that is my answer. :)

    Thanks much for the advice.

    LA.
     

Share This Page