1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time media buyer

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by ctbeagles, Mar 6, 2005.

1. ctbeagles

ctbeagles Guest

Hello all, I'm a DVD burning virgin and am about to purchase a benq 1620 burner to put in my computer. I'm probably going to go pick up media at Staples for my first time. (How exciting!ha) I'm going to start out with trying to copy kids DVDs whose main content is 30-50 minutes long. Any suggestions on a good first to try out for these purposes? This is what I just set up last week:

Dell Dimension 3000
    Pentium 4 3GHZ
    512 MB
    Windows XP
    62 GB available on HD
    also downloaded Shrink and Decrypter

2. ctbeagles

ctbeagles Guest

Okay, so after searching around and some good suggestions I am going to go to Staples and get a Sony spindle 25 pack for $9.94. I just don't know whether to get + or - Also I am assuming these are 4x(?) I can't tell from the pic or description in the online circular and am assuming that due to the price which seems very good. Saugmon if you are out there should I be looking for this code you mentioned yuden000-t02 on the package? Thank you!

3. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

maybe i can be of service :) my brother bought a 25 pk of the sony dvd-r last time they were on sale at staples. every one burned perfectly. he got the 50 pk last week (label said made in tawain) and these will probably be just as good. if i'm not mistaken, the -R is 8x and the +R is 4x. as far as which to buy, it depends on whether your burner is compatible w/ one or the other or both. if both, then u might want to choose based on how old your stand-alone dvd player is. if it's fairly new, probably doesn't matter which u choose. if it's over 3 years old, u might want to get the -R since they are generally more compatible w/ older players. to give u an example; my burner will burn either one but my player is over 2 years old. i've used only -R and +RW and they both play just fine, but today i tried to use a +R for the first time and it wouldn't play in my player so on the next +R i changed the book type setting on my drive (but we won't get into that here) and it played fine. also, the media code, "yuden000-t02" will not appear on the package. but once u open it and put one in, dvd decrypter will tell u what it is. anyway, hope i haven't confused u w/ all this info.
    keep us posted on how it goes and good luck!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  4. ctbeagles

ctbeagles Guest

Thanks for helping a newbie like me! I guess I'm gonna go for the -R and see what happens.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Get the dash r sony's at staples and make sure you find, "MADE IN JAPAN" on the label.The mfg code should be sony-08D1,very good media. All the +1x-8x's at my local store were made in taiwan, still pretty good,but if you can find the plus format made in japan,they should be better. I've burned + and - 1x-8x's from japan, and +1x-8x made in taiwan, and all performed flawless. Beware of the 4x and 1-4x sony's.

Watch those burn settings, many members including myself can burn these at 16x.

$9.94 a pack, try a pack of each.My benq 1620 with a firmware version of b7-c9 loves all of the 1x-8x sony's, My dad's older sherwood player won't play it's dash format, but ok on the plus.

Like fishbulb posted: Your benq should be able to have an option for bit-setting set to book type for dvd-rom,making it more compatable on stand alones-plus only format though.That's where my benq is set at.

Burn at 4x max, and make sure your pc will play the backup, and then check them on your stand alone players before you do a whole bunch of them. They will tell you which format to use ,just by viewing them.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I also have had great success with Sony DVD-R 8X Media Code SONY08D1, and my 50 Cake Box was "Made in Taiwan." I would love to try the Made in Japan ones just to compare but so far all is well, even at 16X burn speeds, (not recommended, and just had to try it!).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  7. madgreek

madgreek Guest

do you have a compuse near you...they have 100 pack for 20.00 bucks no rebate...they work great

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

9. budberner

budberner Guest

Just bought sony +r code d11-000 8X made in taiwan,-r sony08D1 made in taiwan @ bestbuy $22 per 50. Not the best deal ever but OK They didn't have made in Japan I looked at every pack

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I visited Staples today and purchased 1 25 Cake of Sony DVD+R 8X "SONYD11" and 1 25 Cake of Sony DVD-R 8X "SONY08D1", for $9.94 each plus tax. I burned one test of the DVD+R's at 12X and it was flawless, working on all my Players and DVD-ROM’s. I know the DVD-R's are also excellent from previous burns of the same.

Both were Made in Taiwan.

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey scuba bud, can you get 16x out of the sonyd11's like I can?

You'll like them. My last spindle of sonyd11's had 25 out of 25 good burns,even a couple at 16x. Those sony08d1's are working as good as anything I got. Still have a few stand alone players that I have to test them out on.Very good taiwanese media. Later

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Hey saugmon :)

My Burner allows up to 12X on the SONYD11's and 16X on the SONY08D1's.

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I can only get 12x of the sony08d1's.

14. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I don't think you can go wrong with Sony. That's a great deal at Staples. It's a little cheaper than Best Buy this week. They have a 50 cake box for $22 and change. You might check both places. I would probably go with the "made in Japan" label over the "made in Taiwan", but I'm sure both are good if they're Sony. What I'm saying is that Best Buy might have the ones from Japan versus Staples having the ones from Taiwan. For two bucks, I'd probably buy them at Best Buy. Plus, they'll match the price at Staples on their 25 packs. Just do some checking.

When you get back, download DVD Identifier. It's a small free program that will tell you the manufacturer's code on the disks you buy.

15. ctbeagles

ctbeagles Guest

I don't have my writer yet because I just ordered it from newegg a couple days ago. If I put one of the Sony's I bought at Staples in my DVD rom after downloading Identifier will that work to tell me a code or should I not do that?

16. sadsac

sadsac Guest

You can check the codes with a DVD rom. I know that because my laptop only has a rom in it. Works for me.