1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time using DVD Shrink question, & advice wanted

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bratcher, Feb 21, 2005.

1. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Ripped Intolerable Cru;ity (with DVD Decrypter) to my HD then started Shrink. Left all settings at default. Compression was 53% for the whole disc. I selected backup then a HD folder plus let Shrink make video & audio folders. Deep analysis said 33 minutes so I went to bed. Woke up the next morning, Shrink was finished & said it took 2 hours & 27 minutes. Played some of the shrunk movie on my PC with Nero Showtime. A little less sharp plus I noticed a few minor artifacts. No big deal since this was only a test.

My PC is a 1.7mhz P4 with 512mb of memory. Computer is set up for DMA.

My question: Is 2.5 hours normal for Shrink to do it's job at my PC's speed & system memory? It's not a problem. I'm just curious.

I'm planning to use Shrink & Decrypter for "fair use" (?) copying of out of print (can't buy the movie on Amazon) movies rented through Netflix. I'm not trying to pirate anything. Just make a copy for my own use if the movie can't be bought (through Amazon) in new or good used condition. I hope thats OK with the group as I'd prefer to buy a legal copy (through a local store or Amazon) of the movie if it's still in print.

I'm not interested in re authoring any movies as I'd prefer to backup the whole disc. I like too see all the extras before watching the movie itself.

2. horsemen

horsemen Member

when u do a deep analysis it is about normal.with out deep analysis you cut the time in have what i nor do is shrink everything as mush as possible but the main movie and have that as uncompressed as possible if you can get the main movie above 60% it clear up alot

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I have to disagree with horsemen. Deep analysis isn't what's taking so long, it's the quality enhancements along with the major compression. You also didn't mention the speed you are burning at.

You also mentioned you wanted to keep all the content on the dvd when you back it up. When you compress as much as you do, your movie is going to suffer in quality. I always rip the movie by itself if it means I have to compress it more than 80%(Main movie). When I can keep everything with minimal compression, I leave the main movie at automatic and everyting else on custom ratio and manually move the compression bar as far to the left as posible. A lot time when I do this, the movie has little to no compression. You can also rip the movie on one disc and backup up the rest of it on another disc. I do this on some disney films because my daughter likes to play the games. I just set the main movie to still image and no compression is needed.

As for renting and burning, that's illegal no matter what your excuse.(I'd keep that to myself in the future)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  4. hursty

hursty Active member

hehe
    like wolfniggr said
    53% is a lot of compression,hence it will take longer
    it also depends on what encryption is on the dvd

i have found running anydvd in the past, speeds up the process slighty,

and rotary.if you read this,i said in the past..

5. kwhitley

kwhitley Member

I have ripped a few hundred DVDs and find that if you shrink below around 80% quality suffers.

Is best to just rip main title and use shrink as it is easy and even though free about the best there is

6. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Thanks everyone for the useful advice...

7. hursty

hursty Active member

@ kwhitley
    yes burning with more compression could have a impact on the quality of the dvd,however using good quality media should allow you to shrink to 50%/60% without too many problems

with kind regards hursty