1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time using Swap Magic..obviously took a stupid pill.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by melloj, Jan 18, 2004.

1. melloj

melloj Member

Ok I think I am doing something obviously wrong with my Swap Magic disks, so to save myself further frustration Im going to ask you folks to help me out.

I got the Swap Magic Japan Build disks recently. Dvd disk ver 2.0 and CD ver 3.0

I have a Japanese PS2, hence the Japanese Build Swap Magic. I am using the slide card method.

Now, I have an American Encoded DVD, original not burned...I am trying to run it using the DVD swap magic and slide card. I get to the insert disc mode, swap the discs, then press X and the sides of the screen turn a great shade of pink, and nothing happens...hanged.

I have also made a backup copy of She the Ultimate Weapon for the PS2 on a regular CD, using NERO. I try to use the CD version of Swap Magic to start this up, but again when I press the X button on the controller, this time I get a red border around the Swap Magic 3.0 splash screen, and we are stopped.

What am I doing wrong??

2. bizmoan

bizmoan Member

im having the same roblem i burning the game right , it jus shows up red border and ive wasted like 10 cd's

3. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

Make sure that the drive is fully closed before you press X.
    Ive had the screen go pink on me a few times, yet when tried again the games worked fine, so im assuming i didnt close it properly

4. melloj

melloj Member

Well the drive would be fully closed when I slide the slide card back right? Is there any way to check whether its back in its fully closed position?

Thanks

5. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

I dont think so, i just make sure that the pin is as far left as i can move it

6. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

Actually, i just tried a cd backup today and cant get it working either.
    After swapping to the backup and pressing X, the screen turns red with a scrolling/flashing red and blue boarder.

Can anyone shed some light on the problems
    I have a Version 4-6 PS2 so it should work.
    Have no problems with SM DVD

Oh this is usiong V3 of the cd

7. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

Ok guys try this out and tell me if it helps you
    First download a program called CD Loader

http://www.geocities.com/jayteemaster2003/
    and follow instructions on how to burn it onto a CD

Basically, you use your Swap Magic disc as usual, but then put in this CD loader Disk, wait for it to load.

When this is done(it will be in spanish, but u can ignore it), use your swap method and put in your backup, then press X and hopefully, youll be up and running

8. melloj

melloj Member

I guess everybody and their Dog is downloading from that site, its unavailable now. Are there any other sources for this file?

Thanks.

9. melloj

melloj Member

Ok I got it, and burned it.

However I think I may have another problem. I have a Japanese PS2. I guess this Cdloader is made for US systems, cause when I insert the CDLOADER disc it tells me to insert a valide PS2 disc.

I had the same problem when I got the US build of Swap Magic. Had to get the JPN build instead.

Any Japan versions of CDLOADER available or am I out of Luck?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Naive Idiot[/small]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2004
  10. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

I think Swap magic can play imports cant it?
    Meaning it doesnt matter what version or type of PS2 you have?

I have a UK/PAL system and CD Loader works for me.

Maybe its the type of media you are using, have you tried different brands?

11. melloj

melloj Member

Well it matters for the Japanese PS2's cause the US Cds dont have the proper region code on them. Japan and the US have different region codes, but I thought Europe did too...but..
    I had US Build Swap Magic before, and it didnt work on my PS2. Said to insert a valid Playstation 2 disc. Once I got the Japanese Build Swap Magic, (which is a seperate version) the Swap magic boots up no problem.

So I think its maybe the same thing with the cdloader program. But I have no idea. If anyone with a Japanese PS2 has run it, would greatly appreciate feedback.

But just in case, I will try to burn the CDLOADER on some better media...have many Sony discs here in Japan...are they good?

12. cicihefie

cicihefie Guest

The next time you load either one of you CD's or DVD's just pay attention to the little wheel that spins your CD there is a slot on the inside on the left for the cd to sit in the correct way. Once the Cd is in the slot and the flotting on the middle holder when you close the lid it should load everytime. This sounds to simple but after hours of trouble this solved it. I'll give three easy steps 1: Turn on Power, 2: Press eject, insert swap magic and close 3: Once loaded open flip top and take time to make sure the game is well positioned. Close the lid and it should load.
    PS. check how straigt your flip top cover is my door use to jam so I loosened the screws a bit to take of the tension and everything is good. Good Luck
    If anyone has a method of burning EA Nhl 2004 and EA Nascar 2004 without it jamming. I would appreciate it at jodys_angel@globetrotter.net

13. melloj

melloj Member

I wish I had a flip top. but only have the slide card method for now, but will try to make sure I check the positioning of the cd...

thanks

14. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

Yes UK machines are in a different region, and are different from both US and Jap machines which are both NTSC.

The CD loader program should work on ALL PS2's as far as i know, however i heard there is a problem with V7 PS2's and the Swap magic CD.
    Do you know the version of your PS2?

15. melloj

melloj Member

Umm, the playstation model is SCPH-18000 on the model sticker...
    Is there any other way I could check the version?

16. JhenTsang

JhenTsang Member

Hi the model number will give you the version of your PS2, there was a thread about this somewhere i think, cant remember where though

17. Sam334

Sam334 Guest

Hi, I have the US Build Swap magic 3.0 cd and 2.0 dvd and am having problems as well. I am able to load the swap magic, then load the game using the slide method. The only problem is that the game freezes when I select to start a new game. Sometimes an FMV starts, but skips like crazy and is choppy (audio and visual) Anyone have any suggestions? I am burning the ISO games with Nero.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Stephen

18. Sam334

Sam334 Guest

One last thing, should I be burning the games at 1X (I've had this problem with Manhunt and Killswitch..the only games I've burnt).

19. Sam334

Sam334 Guest

Ok, so I re-burned both games at 4X (the slowest my burner will go) and Kill Switch works perfectly. But I'm still having problems with Manhunt. I get up to the loading screen and when it says it's saving the file before the game starts, it freezes. Then when I re load the game it tells me the previous save attempt is corrupted. :/ Any ideas for this?

20. melloj

melloj Member

Thanks for your update sam, I will have to try burning at lower speeds...

In the meantime, I have tried finding my version number, but so far in vain. Seems there arent too many sites out there with version numbers for JAP PS2's

I found this information, and maybe someone could tell from it what version my PS2 is:
    SCPH 18000 (GH-008) (BIOS 010)
    SCPH 18000 (GH-008) (BIOS 020)

I have a SCPH-18000, and that info is from this site:
    http://www.ankarah.com/F14/models_table.htm

Anyone who could help, i would appreciate!

Thanks