1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fisher receiver problem

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by 007DB5, Apr 8, 2007.

1. 007DB5

007DB5 Member

I hooked up my old Fisher receiver, and I have nothing on the left channel. I switched the wires(to eliminate the possibility of bad wiring/speakers on my part), but I got the same result. Does anyone have any suggestions? I opened it up and checked it out. Visusally, it looks like none of the fuses have burned out. I'm about to go get my electrical tester to make sure though. Anyone have any ideas?

There are a couple of potentiometers on the main board. Would I be able to do anything by adjusting these?

The model is the CA283

2. 007DB5

007DB5 Member

OK, just checked, and none of the fuses seem to be bad. I have the audio from my DVD player going into the tuner ports, are those the irght one, or should it be phono? Does it make a difference?

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@007DB5...Welcome to afterdawn! I found the following which said it could be a 4A fuse ... some guy who has his right channel out:

http://www.euras.com/repair_tips_1/Fisher/Fisher_2.htm

You might also try some contact clearner on the pots ... comes in a spray can and you can get it at any radio shack.

4. 007DB5

007DB5 Member

Thanks, I looked inside, but I couldn't find a 4 amp fuse. All of the ones that I DID find were ok. This I believe is an older model. Do I need to let it warm up, or should that not be an issue?

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Older amps do need to warm up; that was initially why "standby" switches were created. Another thing you night try is to thoroughly clean the posts at the back of the amplifier if it hasn't been used for awhile. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you ... you'll need someone with a more thorough knowledge of electronics. I wish I could be more help.

6. 007DB5

007DB5 Member

OK, thanks. I tried letting it warm up, and it seems to be working now.