1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitcd

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by crashdmj, Aug 29, 2008.

1. crashdmj

crashdmj Member

I cannot seem to find any guide on how to use this program. Here is the deal, I have pretty bad overscan TV and therefor I want to add borders to the video before I convert it to DVD format with CCE...so i pop it in to fitcd and want the aspect ratio to remain the same (no squishing or stretching). How do I make this happen?

[​IMG]

Am i just making sure the real aspect ratio is the same for source and outgoing?
    For destination do I set it to DVD720 or DVD704?
    What is "macroblock optimized"?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. attar

attar Senior member

Notes from the creator:
    http://shildebrand.de/doc/FitCD.txt

A guide for converting avi to DVD.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2054881747.html

Compressors like to work using sixteen pixel blocks - some won't let you resize unless it's divisible by sixteen.
    The guide shows a setting for overscan (the image width is changed so that the overscan of a CRT TV won't hide the picture edge).

DVD is 720x480 (NTSC) so it's always using the closest number to 720 and adjusting the height (but trying to keep the aspect ratio as close as possible to the input).

Generally, you open the source and hopefully the program will check the boxes for you.
    You select the destination (720 DVD in this case) check PAL if that's what you need and put in a value for overscan.
    If the source is widescreen, check Anamorphic on the destination side.
    Good luck.

3. crashdmj

crashdmj Member

-taken from another thread I made at videohelp.com

I took a look at the guide but I doesn't really answer a lot of my questions. I load up my mkv in fitcd and I know the video is widescreen but it doesn't automatically check anamorphic (which I thought meant widescreen) though it does shows 1.7778 as the real aspect ratio, should I check anamorphic on the source side anyway (when I do it changes to 2.3704)?

Now I plan to play it on my standard 4:3 but I would like it letterboxed and with side borders so that the overscan doesn't cut anything off (hard-coded subtitles). So...when I mess around with the "blocks overscan" option the real aspect ratio changes on the destination side. At this point do I mess with the resize option so that it equals the source aspect ratio? Do I also change the destination side to anamorphic (Im thinking no because my TV is 4:3)?
    Lastly under the source side I have the crop option set to "no cropping", is that fine?

4. attar

attar Senior member

The response at Videohelp is the most I've seen regarding that program - especially the guide from Fulcilives.

All I can add is that you try the scripts shown in the responses - perhaps adding 'Trim(0, 50)' after the source so that you can quickly get an idea of what it looks like as mpeg.

I don't have any way of using the scripts in an encoding program - Avidemux will output a DVD compliant mpeg - but it's proxy crashes when loading scripts - so I can't test it for you.

I will try loading the settings manually using a widescreen AVI and test it as DVD on a 4:3 TV.

5. attar

attar Senior member

I tested a clip on a 4:3 TV using the settings from FitCD (1280x720 avi from a TV capture - square pixels).

Used Avidemux to process the clip to DVD mpeg2.

Fitcd:setting the output 'Anamorphic' stetched the the picture vertically on the 4:3 screen when encoded to mpeg.
    Leaving it unchecked, produced a more natural letterboxed picture on the 4:3 screen.
    Using overscan blocks produced a satisfactory pillarbox effect on the output.

As noted previously, I don't have a working proxy which will accept the script, so I cannot say for sure what your results wiil be.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  6. crashdmj

crashdmj Member

Thank you for trying. I am going to try with anamorphic checked and then again with unchecked on my 4:3 TV.