1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fitting a few full dvds onto one dvd-5 disc

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by millz018, Apr 29, 2004.

1. millz018

millz018 Member

My friend has a backup copy of all three of his matrixs that his uncle put onto one dvd-5 disc with ac3 audio, a custom built menu and they were all in vob format. I was wondering if anyone knew how i could do it and what programs I would need to use.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Very easy to do using TMPGEnc DVD Author and DVD Shrink. What i want to know is why on Earth you would want to do it since the quality would be absolutely terrible. And please dont come back and say, no the quality is fine. Trust me, the quality is not fine to have 6 hours + of mpeg2 on a 4.7GB DVD R.

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If you use a good encoder and half D1 resolution you could get a 2 movie backup that would look good on most normal TVs. If I wanted to do it, I'd use DVD Shrink to make movie only backups, DVD Author to make the new disc (still oversized) and then DVD Rebuilder with CCE Basic to compress.

For 3 movies you'd really need to cut the resolution in half again (352x240), which gives you VCD resolution. If your audio is all 2 channel AC3, that would probably give you a little less than 1/4 the bitrate of the original movies, and since it would only have 1/4 the original number of pixels, that's not as bad as it sounds (I don't think it's great either). Personally, I wouldn't bother (except maybe as an academic exercise), but if you want to try, that's your best bet.

Oh, I should mention that you could follow the steps I described in the first paragraph for 352x480 video, but you'd need to edit a few text files in the middle. Still not hard though.