1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fix What Ain't Broken???

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by RobertSB, Feb 3, 2005.

1. RobertSB

RobertSB Member

I've burned about 200 Ritek G05's without a hitch. Quality seems perfect to my eyes. Been Reading about Tayo Yuden DVD-R media, seems to be just about everyone's pick for best media. Is there a reason for me to switch?? Quality? Media Longevity? Just wondering if they were worth the extra $$

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

As long as you're getting good batches of Ritek, then you should be fine. I personally only use Taiyo Yuden because when I was making my bulk purchase decision a while back, I was reading a good amount of posts on various forums about ritek being unreliable, about there being many different grades sold under many different brand names(ritek, riDATA, traxdata etc), and just a lot of comments about bad burns.

Of course, I have also read a lot of post by people who swear by ritek, though I forget which "G0" seemed to be the fav.

Needless to say, a couple hundred flawless burns later, including many ps2 games(which I'm particularly glad about :)), and I can confidently say that I'm a Taiyo Yuden user for life.

But I'm sure you'll get responses from other people who say the exact same thing, except that they substitute Taiyo Yuden for Ritek.

Bottom line, if it works for you, stick with it.

3. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

in my opinion, if you've done that many w/out problems and like the quality, i'd stick w/ it if i were u. now if u were using a more common brand like memorex, fuji, etc. (not that they are all that bad) u might want to try something more hi-end. especially when considering the longevity. if u start seeing a recurring problem then maybe try something like TY's.

4. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

If your Ritek G05's were all from the same batch (ie a bulk buy, or perhaps your dealer got a large stock in), that may explain your success. I too have had good results with Ritek, but I used to buy on price and therefore changed sources frequently, so I've also had some very bad results. Buying Ridata only is a good way to avoid bad experiences with this media.

The nice thing about TY is they always give you the same excellent results, batch to batch, dealer to dealer, (as long as they are not fakes).

Also, with my burning/testing setup the TY's give better KProbe results than any Ritek media I've ever used.

It makes me wonder, other manufacturers grade their media output A to D. TY's just have one standard (+++A, I would say!), is it that their production methods are so good they never get duds? Or is it that they never let a duff disc out of the factory?