1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIXVTS WON'T REMOVE SONY ACROSS BUGS!

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by kwamesead, Sep 4, 2007.

1. kwamesead

kwamesead Member

Hi all. As you are aware, Sony have put an end to the great FIXVTS program. I have the latest versions of the following programs:

DVD Fab platinum
    any dvd
    dvd shrink
    nero
    image burn
    FIXVTS

I have the latest version of FIXVTS installed and cleaned the following films that wouldn't open in shrink: Apocalypto and Gridiron Gang.

I then cleaned the pursuit of happyness before burning onto disc, but it wouldn't open on shrink once burnt on disc. I got the typical message "DVD SHRINK ENCOUNTERED AN ERROR AND CANNOT CONTINUE." This is a common message you get with shrink and vob blanker when trying to open Sony Across protected files on disc.

I then ran the disc through the latest version of any dvd's ripper and burnt file to the hard drive. I then re cleaned with fixvts but th problem still occured. If I'm correct, Gridiron gang isa newer Sony release, so why am I getting problems with Pursuit of Happyness? What can I do? Someone please help!

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i can't vouch for Gridiron Gang as that's not my kind of film so i don't have that one. However i can vouch for (Region 2 PAL versions of..) Pursuit of Happyness and Apocalypto only needing DVDFab HD Decrypter, and no need for FixVTS or other programs

3. kwamesead

kwamesead Member

Hi Creaky
    Yes Fab Platinum will reomve all the protection, but it doesn't remove the bugs.This means you cant open these files with vob blanker, dvd shrink and certain dvd players which won't load the films properly. FIXVTS is supposed to clean these bugs and improve the dvd compliance compatability of the finished product. Are you familiar with fixit4me?Does this do anything extra?

4. creaky

i'm not very familiar with ripit4me, not had a need to try it myself. I use DVDFab (freebie version only) heavily, using mostly movie-only mode, and i find DVDFab always delivers clean files, the files are either left alone (what i mean is when the files are small enough to not need DVD Shrink or other programs) then burn happily in Nero, or sent to DVD Shrink or DVD Rebuilder without problem. The only other program i use regularly is vobblanker, and that's only used after each run of DVD Rebuilder prior to burning with Nero Burning Rom, as Nero always moans if i haven't used vobblanker (that could be due to me not doing something correctly in Rebuilder but using vobblanker by default negates the need for having to look into why Nero moans). Anyway i've digressed but for my uses DVDFab causes no file problems with any movies. I've never used the Platinum version of DVDFab by the way, just the freebie version.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  5. kwamesead

kwamesead Member

Hi Creaky

I understand why you have never had problems with corrupted files etc. This is because you copy main movie only which is fine.

For me however, I like to get everything from the movie including special features, so I've got an exact duplicate of the original.

I will keep you posted with any updates.

PS: I remember when you were known as the NERONATOR. I had some funny problems last year with nero and an external burner which would fail at the end of almost every burn. You helped me a great deal, but the problem was only overcome when I removed the burner from its external enclosure and put it directly the machine.

Its good to see they have made you moderator, especially with all the work you did as a user. The next big task will be getting past the future protections on BLUE RAY AND HD DVD.

6. creaky

- indeed

i usually only rip with full disc mode (via DVDFab) for episodic stuff, in which case i would then always use DVD Rebuilder. As i say that's the only time i faff about ie using vobblanker. It's just a matter of keeping all programs updated constantly.. ..in fact 3.1.8.0 is just hot off the press - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/558039

cheers :)
    i still swear by my USB2.0 enclosures, which are currently using the awesome Benq DW1650's and a few dvd-rom drives just for ripping. As to Bluray and HD DVD, just the thought of shunting around silly amounts of Gigabytes (as the movie companies will pad out the discs with tons of utter rubbish) makes my hard drives cry :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007