1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flashed new DVD drive for 360, but am getting the E 66 error!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Allenfourlife, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Allenfourlife

Allenfourlife Newbie

Hello everyone,

So last night/yesterday I finally got my new BenQ DVD drive in the mail. I got right to work, and recovered the key from my old drive, and put that to my new one, and it worked like a charm. I'm now getting that stupid E 66 error with the Q4 light flashing red. This happens with Skyrim, and GTA V, but I can play Madden 12 with no problem, and I can play NFS: Shift, but after a few minutes, it freaks out, and then the E 66 error reoccurs. I've been browsing the internet, and I hope I understand right that when an Xbox itself gets updated it updates the DVD drive, and all that, right? Can someone help me, and walk me through what I need to do to get this to go away so I can play the newer games. I forgot to mention I made sure I had the exact same DVD drive ordered, and obviously the DVD key works otherwise I wouldn't be able to play any games. Please help!

Thanks! :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

are you sure you used the right firmware? have you tried replacing the cables? why didnt you just change the boards?

3. Allenfourlife

Allenfourlife Newbie

That's the part I'm confused about. On JungleFlasher it only has the key. That 's it. There's those other files you can save. Like the "Inquiry.bin" file and those other few. I didn't replace the cables, but the board on the BenQ requires soldering. I don't have any of those tools, and I can't say I know how to do it.

4. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Dump the firmware on the defective drive and flash it to the new drive, not only the key. Is the BenQ the original drive that was built into the Xbox 360 or was it spoofed? What MFR Date does the Xbox 360 have (sticker on the back of the console)? What dashboard version are you on?

5. Allenfourlife

Allenfourlife Newbie

How do I get the firmware though? I don't have any of that LT+ crap. I don't want it. I enjoy playing online more than by myself. Both drives are BenQ, I just know that there are two different firmware versions of the BenQ. I ordered one, and that one has the other firmware version. This is the first time I've ever replaced anything. The original drive is also a BenQ, that's why I ordered a BenQ drive in the first place. The original was manufactured in November of 2006, and the new BenQ drive was manufactured in December of 2007. I have the latest, most updated dashboard version.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  6. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

ok then with jf just chose destination firmware and pick original post 13599

7. Allenfourlife

Allenfourlife Newbie

Woah... Wait. What? I don't follow. I used this guy's stock firmware file: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iK0rReI1SmQ&desktop_uri=/watch?v=iK0rReI1SmQ, and then I spoofed my original key to the drive, and I have fixed the E66 error, but now in the middle of my game I'm getting the "Disc cannot be read" error! Would this be the two cables that attach the Ben-Q drive??? Or does this mean that I have to get an entirely new Xbox because it could also be the ports too. The disc is clean though. No scratches, no nothing. It's in amazing condition. I know that I fixed the E66 error because I can play GTA V, and Skyrim without it popping up.

8. infam0us

infam0us Regular member

benq are the easiest to work with and flash no soldering need,just dump your key,and flash to new benq drive,

9. Allenfourlife

Allenfourlife Newbie

I'm not able to play Madden 12. I'm getting the "Disc can't be read" error. I've been playing Need for Speed Shift for about 30 minutes now, and I'm not getting that error. I'm going to switch to Skyrim now.

10. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Maybe the disc is defective. Worst case could be that it's the laser that is going out, you might try a pot tweak.