1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flashing a Replacement Drive

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by sargentcrunch, Oct 17, 2012.

1. sargentcrunch

sargentcrunch Member

Hi everybody I was wondering if its possible to flash a replacement drive to ixtreme firmware. My original drive recently burned out (the board is bad now). It won't power so I have no way of retrieving the DVD Key. I want to replace the drive and just flash the replacement with the firmware. Is this possible? Also do I have to buy the same exact drive that was already in my 360? Or can I buy a different brand. The burned out drive is a liteon, could I buy a Hitachi or something?

Basically my main questions are, which replacement drive should I get, and can I flash the replacement drive with ixtreme firmware without the original drives key?

Thanks!

2. BillB

BillB Regular member

Without going into great detail, it's not going to work. It doesn't matter which drive you get. You would have to RGH it (if possible) to get xell installed so you could retrieve your dvdkey from the motherboard's nand.

3. sargentcrunch

sargentcrunch Member

Oh ok, what is RGH and how do I know if I can do it on my XBox? And is there maybe a way to just run games off an external hard drive, that way I could just backup all my games I have onto the External hard drive and plug it in my 360 and play them that way.