1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flashing PC Monitor

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Wyattspop, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hey Guys,

I have an HP Win 7 desktop (like 6 yrs old) that I use for family photos and web surfing, my monitor has begun flashing on and off at startup, and about 5-10 minutes later it stops and my PC (and monitor) work fine.
    If I walk away for an hour and it goes into sleep mode, when I wake it back up, the flashing monitor starts
    again. My obvious question is do you think my old desktop is failing, the monitor or the DVI monitor cable?
    I've already backed up most of my data in case the desktop is on the way out. Thanks friends

2. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

do you have another monitor or access to another monitor to see if a monitor or pc issue?

3. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Good thinking, I have at least 4 others....do you think it's the monitor? It's what I thought, but the fact that it never stops working as long as I'm on it makes me think something else...I will hook up another monitor. I have to confess, since you can't help me with one hand tied behind your back, I surf alot of "nefarious" websites, mostly peer-sharing (think Piratebay, Rarbag) and I download movies and music...

4. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

i don't think it is a "nasty" that is causing the problem.

5. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Makes sense, or my PC wouldn't be working seamlessly except for the flashing monitor

6. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hey, you were right, it's the monitor

7. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hey Guys,
    So my desktop monitor began flashing on and off about every 2 seconds. I thought it was a problem with my PC like the integrated video card or similar, after 10 minutes of flashing it works perfectly.
    I plugged another monitor in and it works fine, so my monitor is failing.
    Is there any repair possible? It works flawlessly like I said, but I have to wait for 10 minutes. I can tell you it
    seemed to begin after I cleaned my equipment (blew it out with compressed air), not sure if that caused it.
    The 22 inch monitor is only like 14 months old, I'd hate to buy another, especially since this works fine after 10 minutes. Oh, and I'm very handy with electronics if you have idea what to look at if I open it up
    Thanks Guys

8. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

check the warranty as i think they are for about 3yrs so your's should still be warrantied.

9. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Really? I'll check thanks

10. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

So I've hooked another monitor and it worked right away, the flashing on and off every 2 seconds at startup is my monitor. It will flash for 5-10 min then works perfectly until I reboot. Does anyone know even basic monitor service? I've very handy with all electronics... If it clues anyone in, I think it began when I blew out the dust with canned air
    Thanks

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Unless your monitor is a very expensive highly specialized piece of equipment then I would waste a lot of time or spend a lot of money on it. It sounds as though there's a short or bad connection link so those are two things you can check for yourself, but don't spend any money on something you will probably replace anyway. I use HD TV's as my monitors and I would never go back to a PC monitor.

12. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Thanks, I figured I blasted the canned air on something it didn't appreciate..it wasn't about $, I simply don't like quitting and I really hate waste. The monitor is a really nice 22" less than 2 years old=waste. I bought an even larger 22" at a computer recycling plant I visit sometimes, got another for $36 (tip for ya'll). I appreciate your time. Anyone ever open up a monitor? I may as well play with it now that I replaced it, I'll try to fix it and give it away...

13. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

did you check about the warranty? does the monitor use a regular power like your computer or does it use a power adapter because there is 2 circuit boards with regular cord & 1 circuit board with power adapter?

14. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I didn't check the warranty no, stupid me I never remember to fill out those cards when I buy new items.. It just has the usual power cord, no adapter. Thanks for helping

15. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Do these have bulbs that can be accessed? I once changed out the bulb on a laptop monitor

16. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

doesn't matter if you filled out warranty card because the monitor might still have warranty left on it. what bulbs are you talking about as i did not mention bulbs?

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

A 22" monitor! How long have you owned it? If you're comfortable with screwing around inside of it then go for it, and check for contact points. What do you have to lose, because if it's not under warranty then you can't do it any harm, and you can't break what's already broken. Otherwise it's not worth having fixed because the cost will exceed the cost of a new monitor and you will still have a monitor that's already been defective.

18. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

is most likely a bad capacitor on the power board in the monitor that is causing the problem as i have fixed a number of different size lcd monitors including the 24" samsung i'm currently using now plus used 2 different 19" square samsung lcd monitors into my 19" Frankenstein monitor .

19. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I'm good at electronic soldering, but I'm afraid doing a capacitor on a PCB is beyond my skillset. Thanks

20. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

It's a regular plug with no ac adapter