1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flaskmpeg and smartripper and other than regioin 1 dvds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by vlad, Jan 31, 2003.

1. vlad

vlad Member

are smart ripper and flaskmpeg able to work with dvds coded for other than region 1 [us and canada]? i assume yes as i believe that their origins may be in europe. will the results, when ultimately burned to a dvd, play in a region 1 dvd player?

thanks

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I understand the question.

Smartripper will rip any DVD.

The question is, will you're DVD drive ?

HomerJ

3. vlad

vlad Member

i'm glad that you have this rookie section for questions like mine.

i am looking to identify any complications that would keep me from ripping part of an other than region 1 dvd and ultimately burn it to a dvd and play it on my home dvd player. i thought that the issue might be that the final product wouldn't play on a north american dvd as it would retain the regional coding of the original. however, based on your comment, i'm wondering if my dvd burner would have a problem with the regional coding [other than region 1].

thank you for your help.
    john

4. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

jrofrano,

My apologies for a late reply.

Take care here, PC DVD drives are very often "multi region" when first installed, they usually have 5 "lives" to change that is to say, you can change the region upto 5 times, then the drive locks itself to the 5th region change (for good, it can't be changed)

However, it can be made permanent "multi region free" if it has not locked. Use a programme called "DVD Genie"

To check the status of your drive, go into Windows device manager and cceck the properties of the drive, full details should be available.

HomerJ

PS. When you rip a DVD, you take out the region element, so it no longer becomes an issue.

5. vlad

vlad Member

thank you. that answers my question and also provides info that i hadn't anticipated.

john