1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flawless Burns?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by vegalo, Jan 19, 2007.

1. vegalo

vegalo Member

I have ben reading on afterdawn forums for a while now in regards to dvd backups and playing burned games on the PS2. I am well versed in this and have successfully burned over 70 games. I have a good DVD burner, good media (legit Taiyo Yuden), use DVD Decrypter, use Swap Magic Boot Discs with Slide Tool, the whole nine. However, there are some games with which I am experiencing trouble in terms of the quality of the gameplay. Most of the games I have burned truly work flawlessly with absolutely no problems, but others are skipping, most notably during cutscenes. They all manage to play fine its just that they skip a lot during cutscenes and I am forced to just skip them. Can anybody provide me with some insight as to why that this may be occuring?

Some of the games that I experience this problem with include:
    Call of Duty 3
    Justice League Heroes
    Bully (only during the opening rockstar logo, always skips no matter what, i have to always skip it)
    The Matrix Path of Neo

Why do my burns skip??? Help???

2. kcajblue

kcajblue Regular member

EDIT:
    oops.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  3. eyek

eyek Guest

Thank god I aint the only one! Haha, yes finaly someone else with my problems!!!

Bully is a pisser aint it, The balls hitting the logos.. God thats a nasty bit.. Skipping and freezing.. Annoys me so much. Apart from that the game runs fine. Like u said just at cut scenes and what not.. I am also burning to high quality disk Verbatim. And I use ImgBurn. Lets stick together on this one, id love to know if someone could help us out here.

Keep me posted if you get anywhere on it cheers.

Kinda regards,

4. ace1uk

ace1uk Guest

2 words: Media Quality!

I've used RITEK G05 8x DVD-R & burnt at 4x with approx 1100 games & never had a single problem game yet. No skipping, no load problems, perfect burns that all still work like the day they were 1st burnt.

Oh, and regular cleaning of the PS2 laser helps too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  5. vegalo

vegalo Member

ace1uk, Media Quality is not an issue because I am using Taiyo Yuden DVD-R8X TYG02.

6. eyek

eyek Guest

Doubt its the media quality dude.. u have 1100 games.. DO u have Bully? and do u use SwapMagic 3.6? What do you burn with? And how do you clean your laser - Which I doubt will help much at all.. but ok. ps. I use high quality DVDs Verbatim - all my other games that are copied under this media work perfectly.. Hmm, the mystery goes on.. :(

7. vegalo

vegalo Member

Yo eyek man, sorry for not responding to you, but yeah man, I hear you, that Bully game is a pain. I have the same problem as you. The game itself runs flawlessly like an original game, but the rockstar ball throwing logo skips and stutters no matter what I do. I looked on many pages of this forum and never found any topics dealing with my problem, so I decided to post my own topic. Lets find an answer to this apparent mystery!

And to anyone who might be able to help, like I said, I have games that work flawlessy such as Smackdown vs Raw 2007, Black, Tomb Raider Legend, and lots more, but there are some with which I experience problems (stuttering and skipping).

I burn the games at 4x to TY dvd-r and use swap magic. Any advice? Might the reading speed be a possible factor in my case? I read the original discs at 4x and then burn the iso image to a TY disk at 4x using DVD Decrypter.

I doubt its the laser as my PS2 laser is actually pretty good as it can even read the blue back games. However, I suspected it might be this and I have cleaned it various times with alcohol, but no change.

The games in question I have even made multiple copies of in case the first copy was a bad burn, but they all experience the same problems(stuttering and skipping), so it is not a bad bur situation.

Please offer your insight and opinions.

8. eyek

eyek Guest

Yeah Vegalo, I have burnt many copies of Bully aswell.. Different speeds.. going up to 8x and below. High media quality. Using ImgBurn, Alcohol 120% and Nero.. Still nothing seems to stop the stuttering problem. Hope we can get this sorted out, heh :)

9. vegalo

vegalo Member

Hey eyek, since it seems we're not going to get help from anyone else, we might as well use each other for resources.

What other games have you experienced these types of problems with?

What speed do you read your disks, or do you get them from torrents, etc.?

Do you have games which play flawless?

10. eyek

eyek Guest

Yeah man, looks like it.. No one seems to have the answer sadly :(

Well I only have around 10 games at the moment since I only recently started to use SwapMagic and get it all setup with that. I have read vast amount and found little to help us so.

The only game which has been the most dodgy is Bully Canis Canem Edit, we touched on that issue before

I download all my games using Newsgroups, I dont touch torrents due to slow download etc. I originally thought that the issue may have been small amounts of corrupt data which wasn't downloaded correctly so I downloaded the Bully ISO around 2-3 times. Each time the same issue.

The games I have which play flawlessly are - Tekken 5, Okami, Shadow of the colossus, Resident Evil 4, God of War, Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy 12. Those are pretty much all my games which run perfectly.. The only other which has serious issues is Bully. Also the rest of my games took one burn on Verbatim at 4-8x write speed. I tryed 2x with some aswell, but they all appear to run perfectly.

11. steimy

steimy Active member

have you tried rebuilding the ISO then burning it to see if that helps?
    Or seeing if there are any updates for your burners firmware?

Best to read disc at the slowest speed, and burn them at 4X

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  12. eyek

eyek Guest

I have looked for firmware updates and sadly I already have the latest firmware. Rebuilding didn't seem to work, everytime I tryed to rebuild the ISO for Bully and then burn it I can't seem to get it to even boot. Know of a better way to rebuild an image? I found the guides on rebuilding the images rather dated and some of the software was difficult to find.

13. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  14. eyek

eyek Guest

Right cheers thanks I will give it a try at some point. All help is much appreciated! :)

15. steimy

steimy Active member

here are the two ways of rebuilding i know. If you have ISO BUster and Nero it is a very simple process. Why this one game is giving you such a problem i just don't know. There are just so many factors involved when burning games. Your burner, your PS2, your media, your boot method, if booting with swap magic does the game need to use zoneloader with swap magic to boot and so on.
    Zoneloader is another thing you may want to try, you load swap magic, then swap for zoneloader, then for your back up. This is needed to load some games with swap magic.

Rebuilding an ISO
    If you have ISO Buster and Nero: by MinnWild at modchipzone
    Step 1.
    Decrypt the ps2 game to your hard drive using dvd decryptor.

Step 2.
    Open up Isobuster and load in the image file.

Step 3.
    Hold shift and highlight all the game files and put them in a folder.

Step 4.
    Open up Nero burning rom and create a new UDF/ISO dvd (It's the last one in the list). Drop all the game files into Nero in the same order as it is listed in Isobuster. Just keep Isobuster open as a reference when you do this. Nero will change the order of the files graphically, however they burn in the order that you dropped them in.

Step 5.
    Name the image and burn it at 4x.

Step 6.
    Presto, you've rebuilt and burned a PS2 game. Play it.

Note:
    Some games have dummy files in them.(ie. guilty gear, spider-man 2). They are used to beef up the size of the image and to copy-protect the game. Burning games with the dummy files left unchanged will result in a game that does not boot (using swap magic anyway). To remedy this annoyance follow these fun steps. Make sure you create an ISO for the game on your hard drive before you start using DVD Decrypter or other burning program. Also create a empty folder on your hard drive for the new files. Also keep ISO Buster open the whole time as you will need it for the last steps.

Step 1.
    Open up ISO Buster and select-> File, Open Image, and then browse for the ISO you have created on your hard drive. Next click on the first file in the list on the right side of the screen, then hold down shift and click on the last file so that all of the files are highlighted. Continue to hold shift and right click on the highlighted area and select the Extract Objects option and then choose the folder on your hard drive to save it to.

Step 2.
    Create a new text file. Open it and press the space bar once, then choose save as. Browse for the files you just extracted and click on one of the garbage files so it takes the same name. Then when it asks if you want to overwrite the existing file say YES. Repeat this for each Garbage or Dummy file.

4. Now that you have replaced them all you can use either Nero or CDVDGEN or another program (ISO Buster may have this option) to take those files and create a new ISO to burn. You must drop and drag the files into the program in the same order that they are in ISO Buster (this is why you kept it open)

5.Open up Nero burning rom and create a new UDF/ISO dvd (It's the last one in the list). Drop all the game files into Nero in the same order as it is listed in Isobuster. Nero will change the order of the files graphically, however they burn in the order that you dropped them in.
    6. Now just burn the new ISO.

With ISO Buster and CD/DVDGEN: From Afterdawn.com

YOU MUST HAVE DVD Decrypter, CDVDGEN, AND ISOBUSTER INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER.

1) COPY THE PS2 GAME DVD TO YOUR HARD DRIVE AS AN ISO IMAGE.
    a)OPEN DVD Decrypter.
    b)IN THE DESTINATION AREA, CLICK ON THE FOLDER ICON TO CHOOSE BOTH A NAME AND A STORAGE LOCATION FOR THE ISO IMAGE.
    c)CLICK ON MODE > ISO > READ.
    d)CLICK ON THE DVD ICON TO START THE PROCESS.
    e)WAIT UNTIL THE PROCESS IS FINISHED THEN CLOSE DECRYPTER AND GO TO STEP 2.

2) EXTRACT THE FILES FROM THE ISO IMAGE.
    a) CREATE A NEW FOLDER ON YOUR HARD DRIVE TO STORE THE
    EXTRACTED FILES.
    b) OPEN ISO BUSTER AND CLICK ON FILE > OPEN IMAGE FILE.
    c) NAVIGATE TO THE ISO FILE CREATED IN STEP 1 AND CLICK ON “OPEN”.
    d) HOLD THE CONTROL KEY ON YOUR KEYBOARD AND LEFT CLICK
    EVERY FILE AND FOLDER IN THE LIST.
    e) ONCE ALL THE FILES ARE HIGHLIGHTED, RIGHT CLICK ON ONE OF THEM AND CLICK ON “EXTRACT OBJECTS”.
    f) NAVIGATE TO THE NEW FOLDER THAT YOU CREATED ON YOUR
    HARD DRIVE AND CLICK “OK”.
    g) WAIT FOR THE PROCESS TO FINISH THEN CLOSE ISOBUSTER.

3) CONVERT THE EXTRACTED FILES INTO 2 BIN FILES.

a) OPEN CDVDGEN.
    b) SELECT “CREATE NEW PROJECT” AND THEN SELECT “DVD-ROM
    MASTER DISC”. DRAG CDVDGEN TO THE LEFT SIDE OF YOUR
    SCREEN.
    c) NAVIGATE TO THE FOLDER THAT YOU CREATED ON YOUR HARD
    DRIVE BACK IN STEP 2 AND OPEN IT ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF YOUR SCREEN.
    d) SET THE WIDTH OF THAT WINDOW SO THAT IT IS ONLY 1 FILE WIDE. THIS WILL PLACE THE FILES INTO THE SAME ORDER AS THEY WERE ON THE GAME DISK BUT YOU SHOULD CHECK THEM FOR CORRECT ORDER JUST IN CASE.
    e) CLICK ON EDIT > SELECT ALL.
    f) DRAG ALL THE FILES INTO THE RIGHT SIDE OF CDVDGEN.
    g) LOOK FOR A SLUS OR SLES FILE AND WRITE DOWN THE FULL NAME AND THEN CLICK ON THE “VOLUME” TAB IN CDVDGEN.
    h)TYPE SLUS OR SLES (WHICHEVER YOUR FILE NAME IS) INTO THE 1ST BOX NEAR "DISC NAME"
    i) TYPE ALL OF THE NUMBERS FROM YOUR FILE NAME, WITHOUT THE PERIOD, INTO THE 2ND BOX.
    j) TYPE PLAYSTATION FOR THE PRODUCER NAME AND SELECT THE APPROPRIATE LICENSE AREA.
    k)CLICK ON "REC...".
    l)SELECT YOUR DESIRED STORAGE LOCATION AND NAME THE FILE STAR.IML
    m)YOU WILL GET 2 ERRORS, JUST CLICK OK FOR BOTH.
    n)THE RECORDING SCREEN WILL POP UP, CLICK ON FILE > EXPORT IMAGE AND SAVE IT ON ONE OF YOUR HARD DRIVES (NOT IN A FOLDER) NAME IT STAR.LST
    o) WHEN IT'S FINISHED, YOU WILL HAVE 2 FILES NAMED STAR.000 AND STAR.001
    p)CLOSE CDVDGEN AND GO TO STEP 4.

4) MERGE THE .000 AND .001 FILES INTO A SINGLE ISO IMAGE.
    THE EASIEST WAY TO MERGE THE FILES IS FROM A COMMAND SCREEN.
    YOU WON'T HAVE TO INSTALL AN EXTRA PROGRAM THAT MAY NEED
    EXTRA FILES TO WORK AND COME ON, ADMIT IT, DOS IS SO MUCH FUN!!
    a)CLICK THE WINDOWS START BUTTON AND CLICK ON RUN.
    b)TYPE CMD IN THE BOX AND HIT ENTER.
    c)CHANGE THE DIRECTORY TO MATCH WHERE YOUR STAR.000 AND STAR.001
    FILES ARE STORED.
    EXAMPLE- IF THEY ARE ON THE C DRIVE, TYPE CD C:\ AND HIT ENTER.
    IF THEY ARE ON ANOTHER DRIVE, TYPE THE DRIVE LETTER WITH A COLON AND HIT ENTER.
    d)ONCE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT DIRECTORY-
    TYPE COPY/B STAR.000 + STAR.001 STAR.ISO AND THEN HIT ENTER.
    e)WHEN IT'S FINISHED YOU WILL HAVE A NEW ISO IMAGE NAMED STAR.ISO THAT YOU CAN NOW BURN IN STEP 5.

5) BURN THE NEW ISO IMAGE ONTO A BLANK DVD.
    USE YOUR FAVORITE DVD BURNING UTILITY TO BURN IT AT THE
    SLOWEST SPEED.

16. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007