1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flip Cases and Dyspraxia

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Rohaq, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Rohaq

Rohaq Member

I'm repairing a DVD drive for someone which appears to have been damaged by being forced open and shut. I asked her how this happened, and apparently her son has dyspraxia, meaning he has trouble with his organising complex movements, and can get frustrated when he can't do something properly (like closing the DVD drive), so I thought 'Hey, why not ask if they want a flip case put on so the drive doesn't get damaged?', but I thought I'd ask here first:

How easy is the flip case to operate? I've never had to install one before, and have never used one. Obviously I don't want to waste this lady's time and money by installing something that might be of little use if the top's going to snap off with one jerky movement, and I especially don't want to lose her trust in me if she needs any future console or PC repairs.

Also, does the case allow the PS2 to operate normally with original games? I'm guessing it's just a case of opening it up, putting in the game, then hitting reset, like you would when normally changing discs on a PS2. She has no other mods installed.

Thanks!

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Flip tops are nice for most of us, but it sounds like with the illness this kid has, a fliptop would only exacerbate the problem. There is the issue with the sturdiness of the fliptops, which isn't an issue if you're conscientous about the amount of strength you use to open it, but I could easily imagine it being broken by an overanxious kid, even without his being afflicted with dyspraxia. But the main reason I would not suggest you get them a fliptop is that it takes a decent amount of tactile competence to get the disk to sit correctly on the wheel. I'm hardly able to get them to sit correctly on the first try, and while it's no big deal for me to reposition it, it sounds like it would frustrate the hell out of this kid.
    Hope that helps.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  3. Rohaq

Rohaq Member

Thanks a lot man, good thing I checked :)