1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flip-top cover with swap magic purchase?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by TheDude55, Nov 16, 2004.

1. TheDude55

TheDude55 Member

Hey guys, I'm wanting to purchase something to play backup ps2 games and just not sure which is best to get. Most seem to be saying to get the Flip-top cover with swap magic. Is this my best bet or are soldered in mod-chips better? (soldered by a professional of course)
    Also noticed in the flip-top advertisement it sais "Only for use with original, purchased game title backups for which the original software license has been purchased."
    Does this mean rented games and owned games can work, or just owned games??
    I really wanna get something in the next couple days, I just wanna make sure I'm getting the product that will work the best and is reliable for all games (if thats possible).

2. TheDude55

TheDude55 Member

sorry guys if this is a repeated question, I just noticed a similar post to mine

3. welcome3

welcome3 Guest

go with the flip top, It works with everything

4. Smorgan77

Smorgan77 Member

My Flip Top/ Swap Magic Discs are arriving today, and I have a version 9 PS2. I'll post back and let you know my initial experience later tonight. From what I have been able to gather, it seems to work for everything if you're patient enough to find loader discs for some games, get the right burning speeds/media down etc.

5. Smorgan77

Smorgan77 Member

Oh and what that sentence means is that basically the manufacturer is saying that their product (the flip top case and swap discs) is INTENDED only for you to copy games that you own already.... it's basically just a disclaimer.

6. TheDude55

TheDude55 Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm about to order a flip-top with magic disc from www.gocybershop.ca. Good price and it's here in Canada so it should be here by Monday I hope. I'll post how it works when it arrives.

7. davidleal

davidleal Member

Hi i was wondering a good site for the flip top? I live in canada and i was wondering a good cheap canadian website for them. I was also wondering if there is such a thing as clear filptop cases and if there is where could i get them. Thanks for any replys that i get i am hoping to be putting a order on one of them l8er today so quick reply's would bge awesome! Thanks again
    dave,

8. TheDude55

TheDude55 Member

hey dave,

Like I mentioned in my previous message, I used www.gocybershop.ca. It came to about $56 Canadian which is probably one of the lowest prices you'll find. That was for the flip-top and magic swap disc which you'll want unless you already have it. There is a site i visited that had clear ones. http://www.ps2fliptop.net/index.htm
    That's the site there, its just kind of messy, so I ordered from the other one. Good luck

9. davidleal

davidleal Member

Thanks alot i apprecitae it.

10. Smorgan77

Smorgan77 Member

I have just finished installing the Flip-Top cover, and 1 issue I ran into: Be careful not to wench your PS2 screws down too tight when you put the unit back together, because for me it actually threw my laser reading off enough to prevent the console from reading ORIGINAL ps2 discs. It took a bit to find the right balance, but my recommendation when you get the flip top on and put it in place, insert a controller in the port to keep the placement right, and don't tighten the screws (especially the 4 located around the tray) down tight at all. Mine are not even flush, though they are secure and screwed down into the cavity.

Once this issue was resolved, I inserted the DVD 2.0 swap disc, it came up to the "insert disc" screen fine, and then I inserted the Burn I made of Bard's tale (this was a dl's alcohol image, which I burned at 2.3x with alcohol to memorex DVD+R... I have a version 9 which apparently does read +R) and it works great.

Will post any other issues I run into. I am now attempting my first complete backup/burn of a game (Demon Stone NTSC) having used Decrypter to image it to .ISO, and burning at 2.3X speed (this is the slowest my Memorex 4x media will burn at apparently). WIll post results. Obviously I'm happy at this point, other than the minor heart attack brought on by the screw tightness issue.

11. Smorgan77

Smorgan77 Member

SUCCESS on the above-referenced copy of Demon Stone.