1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flip-Top Newbie: Is my burner ok to use? Are these games able to be backed-up successfully?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by StatikOne, May 28, 2003.

1. StatikOne

StatikOne Regular member

I am going to purchase a Flip Top soon.
    I was wondering if everything will be okay though.
    I have a Cendyne DVR-104 (supposed to be identicle to the Pioneer DVR-104). Is this okay to use?

The games I plan to back-up are:
    Dark Cloud 2
    Devil May Cry
    Devil May Cry 2
    Final Fantasy X
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
    Kingdom Hearts
    Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    Midnight Club 2
    Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance
    NBA Street Vol. 2
    Onimusha 2
    Ratchet & Clank
    Rayman 3
    Shinobi
    Sly Cooper and the Thevius Racoonus
    Suikoden 3
    Zone of the Enders 2

I will be copying these games directly from the original game DVD's.
    Do any of these games not work, need a patch, or need anything special in order to load?

Thank You.

2. psx245

psx245 Regular member

i can guaranteed that at least 3 or them cannot play. Swap magic disc for fliptop is not as successful as non swap modchip.

3. StatikOne

StatikOne Regular member

I know there are a lot of people here with a flip top... which ones have and have not worked?

4. SP33D

SP33D Member

I'm pretty sure Kingdom Hearts won't work and I've heard some people having problems with FFX. Most of the other stuff should work okay.

5. JMoney

JMoney Guest

I have made backups of NBA Street 2, Midnight Club 2, Kingdom Hearts and Dark Cloud 2 with no patches or anything. ..Used a crappy burner and Memorex DVD-R's.

The only 2 games I've heard of that don't work are Splinter Cell and sometimes Vice City.

Hope this helps.

6. cheib

cheib Member

I have a fliptop and everyone of those games I have been able to backup and play succesfully. But each version of ps2 is picky as to what it will or will not play. I have a ver.4 and like I said I can backup and play all of the games you have listed.

7. madskull

madskull Guest

I have a Matshita dvd-ram, and nero. I have backed up WRC2 Extreme using Neo media at x2 speed, also Ratchet+Clank, using Datawrite media at x2 speed, Tried Pro Evelution Soccer 2, 4 times with different media and burning software, still no joy, but I've put it down to the disc being scratched, even though it works perfect in the ps2. Good luck people and I hope to see more verified backups for the PS2 Flip top lid, power to the people. ps forgot to mention the PS2 CD games. X- Squad (which is bollocks, but I was just testing the machine) and pro evelution soccer 1. Using Imation cdr.

8. StatikOne

StatikOne Regular member

Thanks for the help guys. I have a ver. 4 too cheib, so I guess I shouldn't worry too much. I posted this question in other boards and some people said all these games should work fine.

JMoney, I heard Splinter Cell is supposed to be able to work with CDLOADER which you can download off the net. People said you can get it from PS2Ownz (which is down now) or Kazaa.

All the PS2 games on CD work perfectly for the past 2 years of burning them. I even have GTA3 on CD which works fine, it just has like 3 or 4 of the radio stations (supposedly the worst ones) ripped out. Soul Calibur 2 (jap import) on cd with all FMV removed.

9. madskull

madskull Guest

Backed up Enter the Matrix (rental). Used nero on the fly worked fine with swap magic. Then tried to load it again and it wouldn't work, as i say worked 1st time then the backup disc didn't work at all, Is this something to do with dummy files on rentals..Only rented it cos me pet dog ate the original

10. hybridsun

hybridsun Member

First off, don't say you rented the game. Although you said you rented it b/c your dog ate the original, In a way...you are illegally doing backups, and this forum doesn't give information for illegal backuping but just to backup your already owned games.

Second, try this:
    Burn an image of the game into your hard drive and into your dvd-r...some say it works good that way. GOOD LUCK with your burn! :)

11. madskull

madskull Guest

first off, mr junior member I do not do anything that is illegal,second I still have the original MATRIX dvd ,third your replie did not give me any new direction, (as i said it worked once then not at all), Forth Why did you reply to this in the first place??

12. madskull

madskull Guest

5th: Cheers for your concern about illegal backups The Third World does not need this right now, My Insurance will cover the cost of the game, The dog choked as a result of eating pieces of dvd slivers, and my dog was insured for £1250, so I'm up £11 after i get a new dog

13. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

I've never encountered any dummy files on any rentals. and i've had to rent quite a few to make backups of the ones my kids have scratched (i only rent games that i own to do a backup when my disc is scratched to the point where i cant make a backup of it). so if you are forced to rent one to back it up, it should be the exact same. you can also send the disc back to the manufacterer for a replacement. i forget what thread that was in but i guy was saying exactly how to go about getting the manufacturer to replace the disc and you only need to pay the shipping.

14. StatikOne

StatikOne Regular member

"i can guaranteed that at least 3 or them cannot play. Swap magic disc for fliptop is not as successful as non swap modchip."
    -psx245

Thanks for trying to warn me. But ALL OF THEM worked. How would you know if "at least 3" of them won't work if you've never tried?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2003
  15. StatikOne

StatikOne Regular member

[DELETED]
    OOPS... triple post!

16. StatikOne

StatikOne Regular member

[DELETED]
    OOPS... triple post!

17. madskull

madskull Guest

Cheers darthnip, Still no joy with Enter The Matrix, that Hybridsun blokes a bit cocky inni ?
    never mind
    StatikOne;
    ive backed up:
    wrc2 extreme
    gta vice city
    the getaway
    medal of honour-frontline
    007-agent under fire
    ratchet and clank.
    Ive tried Pro evolution soccer 2 FOUR times with nero and dvd dycrypter using different sorts of -media, still no joy has anybody backed up this game? HELP
    its my favourite game but its also the kids fav as well, and i get panic attacks evertime they wanna play it

18. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

i wouldn't really say cocky, it is very important that no one mentions anything that could even be closely viewed as piracy, even if that is not what you are doing, if the wrong person (feds) reads it, it could just be a big hassle for the site. any discussing of piracy could get aD shut down and nobody wants that. I am not sure why you are having trouble with ETM, i did that one on the first time with no problems.

19. Ceaser

Ceaser Member

Has anyone been able to back up Silent Hill 3. Im a newbie to this forum and have read many of the threads with interest.