1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flip top problems....need help....

Discussion in 'PS2' started by vgndavid, Nov 14, 2004.

1. vgndavid

vgndavid Member

Hey everyone, I'm David, I've never posted here before. It seems like some of you are quite knowledgable about this stuff, so I have a question for anyone who can help...

I got a flip top cover for my v4 ps2 from ps2fliptop.net. I installed it on my ps2, and everything seemed fine, but after playing any game for a while, I would hear a loud noise and then the game would stop working. This was true for my backups and my originals. It sounded like the magnetic white disc that holds the games in place wasn't doing it's job. I had already ditched the white disc that ps2fliptop.net sent me cause it wasn't even magnetic and switched in the original one.

I can play my backups and originals perfectly with the case open (no flip top cover and no original cover). Obviously, I'm happy my backups work, I'm happy my ps2 works, but I don't want to keep it this way forever.

Does anyone know who to make the flip top work properly??? I need those games to just stay down, I'm not asking much.

Also, I made sure that the games were sitting in the tray properly, with the left side under the part of the tray that sticks out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

David

2. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

this happens with many people.

It seems that the white disk just isnt touching the disk all the way, so the solution to this is to put a heavy book (not too heavy) on top of the flitop cover to stop it from making these noises.

3. vgndavid

vgndavid Member

Thanks for the reply.

This is what weirds me out though, I took the white disc off of the flip top and applied it on myself and left the flip top open and it still happened.

But when I don't have the flip top on, I can apply the white disc myself and everything is fine.

It just doesn't seem like the flip top just being screwed on should be creating this problem.

David

4. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

maybe your laser is fading away......

No wait that caant b right since u can still play your backups without the flitop cover.

This is really weird........

5. vgndavid

vgndavid Member

Ok, so now, I got everything <i>but</i> GTA San Andreas to work by putting books on the top of the flip top.

I got GTA San Andreas to work by taking the white disc off of the flip top and applying it directly to the disc.

This just seems like too much hassle. You would think these flip top makers would make sure they do it perfectly. Having to put books on top or find workaround to them messing up is a bummer.

If someone thinks I may have done something wrong, please tell me, I'd love to have a fix to this problem that isn't an annoying work around.

Thanks for your help,
    David

6. pirkster

pirkster Member

I fixed a similar problem by pitching my flip top into the trash.

I know that's not the advice you wanted to hear, but I had the same type of problems (loud noise, disks wouldn't read, having to put a heavy object on the flip top cover, etc.) and decided that the risk wasn't worth it. I went back to using the original case in fear of permanently damaging my PS2.

I'm happy with my unmodified PS2 and HD Advance + hard drive. I bought the flip top to help me with games that must be shrunk to work with Advance, but have ditched that idea in favor of using WinHIIP and Handiness instead of fooling around with a risky, cheap fip top.

Just my .02. Good luck!

7. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

you could try tightening the screws that hold the fliptop on a little bit and see if that helps

8. vgndavid

vgndavid Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I already tried loosening and tightening the screws.

This is my theory on this....

GTA San Andreas and Mortal Kombat Deception don't work (originals or backups) with the flip top cover.

Both work when I place the magnetic white disc onto the games by hand, but don't work when the magnetic white disc is attached to the flip top cover.

I have read that the ps2 lasers on the older ps2s (mine is a v4, 3+ years old) don't read some of the newer games well (GTA Vice City and San Andreas and MK Deception in particular). So what I think is going on, is that when my PS2 is non-modded (no flip top), it can read the games fine (but just barely). But with the flip top, it can't read them because the magnetic white disc isn't holding them down as low as they should be.

This is my best theory on this. But who knows, maybe it's something else.

And pirkster, I'm starting to feel the way you do, these flip tops just seem to be trash, I think I could make a better custom flip top...hmmm, that gives me an idea.

Thanks everyone.

David