1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flip-Top PS2 Info Please.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Cool_Flow, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Cool_Flow

Cool_Flow Member

I have been looking at these Flip-Tops for PS2 and I am thinking of getting one because my brother tried to install the Magic 3.1 chip and fried the board for his PS2, so I don't want to take that chance.

Has anyone had any luck with this new product, or is it just some fake garbage?

2. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

I have the fliptop cover and boot discs. Works great for me.

3. Cool_Flow

Cool_Flow Member

Sweet. That's good enough for me.

4. AND1

AND1 Guest

Can you use gameshark or anything like that or will swap magic only work.

5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

That's a good question, I would like to know.

6. Cool_Flow

Cool_Flow Member

From what I read on this forum. That you have to use the Swap Discs they provide because they have the special bad sectors on them to trick the PS2. If you want to play PS1 games on your PS2 you have to use a gameshark for the ps1.

Or at least I think that's what they were saying.

7. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

I haven't tried anything else beyond the "swap magic" discs as they were only 19 bucks. One disc is for the DVD based games and the other is for CD based games. I haven't tried playing any ps1 games either. I haven't had any trouble booting all the latest ps2 titles (CD-R or DVD-R) and since I have a v4(which I believe would require a swap even with a chip) I figured the flip top cover was the way to go.

8. AND1

AND1 Guest

I have a couple questions.

1. Can you play any game that you backed up or do you need to apply any patch or anything.

2. Did you backup any EA sports games like madden 2003 or NBA 2k3. How do they turn out.

3. Can you play a backed up game online?

I ordered the flip cover but I have no modchip or anything on it. I plan to use the Swap Magic dics.

9. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

AND1

I have backed up Medal of Honor Frontline which is an EA Sports game and it plays great. According to the website, you don't need a patch to play any EA Sports games.

There is a small list of games that will not boot using the swap disc here http://www.modchipforums.com

However, new versions of the swap discs should become available to combat these issues.

I haven't tried any online gaming yet but If I ventured a guess I would say there shouldn't be a problem. Once the game boots, you should be good to go.

10. HoJo79

HoJo79 Guest

Newbie here but question-most for dex since he sounds smart :) wondering everyoen is talkin about copying dvd games only dvd burners now if a game is ripped (dl off internet) in bin and cues and its a dvd game but in file format can you burn on a Cd-r?

11. Oner

I really wouldn't know the answer to that as I don't download games off the net. Anyone with a reply take it to private messages as this is crossing the line already.

Also HoJo79, please do not post multiple replies of the same question and into other peoples threads, it is not allowed here. Thank You

Last edited: Feb 16, 2003
  12. elljay55

elljay55 Member

can you give me site where you got the flip top?

thanks

13. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

14. tonykrz

tonykrz Member

I installed my fliptop a few days ago and have backed up several games and it works perfectly. The only draw back is that you can not use the gameshark with the swap discs.

15. Oner

Not use the GS with the Swap Magic but use the GS to boot titles in place of the Swap Magic.

16. Cool_Flow

Cool_Flow Member

That's not a very big draw back. I don't like to cheat at all anyways, so that won't hurt me any.

17. Oner

It should work. Using the GS to boot PS2 CD based games as I just tested the "Swipe Card" Method with a GS and it boots CD based titles WITHOUT a modchip in the PS2.

18. elljay55

elljay55 Member

but if all i get is the 2 magic swap disk and the flip top i should be alright huh? and using the flip top and swap disk can i just use nero to straight 1 to 1 copy ps2 games and they will work ??

19. Oner

Elljay55

"but if all i get is the 2 magic swap disk and the flip top i should be alright huh?"

Yes and No. It will work fine but not for every game. The current version of Swap Magic cannot do all titles. If you get the new version soon to be released (I don't know when) these will have addressed the problems (very little I might add)

"and using the flip top and swap disk can i just use nero to straight 1 to 1 copy ps2 games and they will work ??"

Yes and No also. Yes for DVD based backups but No (or I suggest a No) because Nero does not backup CD based PS2 titles correctly (you need to read and write them in a certain way thea Nero does not do). For CD based titles just use my tutorial and CloneCD (assuming your writer is compatible)

20. elljay55

elljay55 Member

ok thanks ill order now anyway and when new swap disk come out ill get them but what burning software do you suggest other than nero and where can i find your tutorial
    thnx