1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flip-top PS2 showing garbled video

Discussion in 'PS2' started by AlvinD, Jun 15, 2007.

1. AlvinD

AlvinD Member

I have a flip-top modded PS2 that I've been using for a couple of years and is now showing garbled video. I've tried using both composite and RCA cables, but they give me the same messy results. What could be happening and is it possible I can fix it?

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Could be static inside the motherboard. Try to remove the motherboard, set it on cardboard, wait for about 5 min and put it back together.

3. AlvinD

AlvinD Member

Thanks I'll try that.
    Static, huh. Is this a common problem and how serious is it?

4. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

It isn't as common in PS2 than it is in computer motherboards. It could end up being very serious and permanently damaging components if not fixed soon. I had static completely disable my mouse port on my computer. It could happen from dust, a vacuum, or power surges. Another way to try to remove the static is to turn on the system and unplug it. This will drain all the power inside the system. Damage *could* occur but is unlikely.

5. AlvinD

AlvinD Member

Thanks for replying. I've set it on the carpet quite a bit, so you're probably right about it being static.
    It seems like only video has been effected. Sound works perfectly and games do boot up, but the video is all scrambled. To give you an example, it's like playing a dirty NES cartridge.

6. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Try to drain the system of static and give it a try. Post back and telling me if it works.

7. AlvinD

AlvinD Member

Okay, I took it apart and did those two tricks (setting it on cardboard, and powering down). I even tried removing some dust. Still getting the same results. I'll work on it some more when I get some time.
    I'm not much of a tech guy, so just taking it apart, putting it back together, and turning it back on is quite an accomplishment for me. Any more suggestions would be appreciated; if I can't get it working I'll just buy another PS2. Besides, I still got my flip-top cover.

8. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

try to replace the cables or try it on another TV.