1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flip Top questions (Please Read)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ub2cool4u, May 12, 2003.

1. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

Does the flip top play PS1 copies and imports? And how well does it play ea sports copies and imports?

2. JoeDirt

JoeDirt Member

I'm pretty sure if you bought the psx1 boot disc that comes with the spring that is build for the psx1. The flip-top would work as the spring. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems logical. Anyone try it.

3. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

I haven't heard anything about playing ps1 copies and imports with the flip top on my PS2, but I hope you can. If anyone knows can you tell me?

4. cheib

cheib Member

You need to use either Action Replay or Game shark with the fliptop in order to play PS1 games, the Swap Magic discs only play PS2 games

5. xenogear

xenogear Member

it's funny 'cause i'm trying to experiment with a few things myself......

i don't know if you've heard of the SNES station. it's an emulator that allows you to play SNES games on the ps2. documentation on this seems to only suggest that it'll only work on ps2's that have a mod chip or unmodded ps2's that use action replay or gameshark. however, doesn't seem to be any documentation out there that says if it works for a ps2 with a flip top case. however, i don't know if i'm the first one to confirm this but SNES station DOES work the flip top case. you have to change one of the system file's LBA values (no idea what that is but it works). from what i understand, somehow changing that LBA value to a specific number matches how a gameshark boots up. (I am probably dead wrong about that) anyways, after changing that LBA value and using the CD boot disc that came with the flip top case, i was able to get the emulator to work.

what does this have to do with psone backups??

well, i'm on a hunch here but if you look at your psone backups you'll see there's also a system file in there.

i have reason to believe that if you can also modify the LBA value in a similar process that was done for the SNES station emulator to work, we will be able to play psone backups using our flip top cases and boot discs without the gameshark or action replay. i'm going to research this a bit further.

private message me if you don't understand or wanna talk about it further.....

if ANYONE out there can help shed some light on this, it'd be great.....

6. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

Does it matter which version gameshark I get?

7. cheib

cheib Member

i'm guessing v1.9 or higher but that is just a guess

8. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

cheib are you positive that the flip top can play ps1 copied games and imports. Because I don't want to end up buying it and not be able to play them. Does the flip top play all imports and copied games or is it just certain ones, can it play imported copied ea sports games like cricket 2002 for example?

9. cheib

cheib Member

I am not 100% sure, try doing a search on game shark, and see what others have to say, I have just heard from different forums that if you have a fliptop or a no solder mod and want to play backed up ps1 games that you need gameshark or action replay.

10. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

Do you know if I will be able to play copied imported games with the flip top?

11. cheib

cheib Member

I have 2 games, I have Transformers and Marvel vs Capcom 2 both are japanese imports and play on my fliptop with the fliptop cover

12. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

That is awesome man thanks alot for your help buddy :) and sorry about that whole argument that happend between me and you :)

13. cheib

cheib Member

no problem, hope everything works out for you.

14. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

Hey cheib, I heard that to play PS2 imports and imported copied games on the PS2 with the flip top I will be needing a gameshark is that true? can't I just use the swap magic? What do you recomend?

15. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

Please Help :)

16. cheib

cheib Member

I only have 2 imported games but both of them work fine with the swap magic discs. They are both Japanese imports, but I can not say wether or not UK backups will work or not.

17. ub2cool4u

ub2cool4u Guest

Are the two games you have copied? Do you know if COPIED imported games work on the flip top with the swap magic.

18. cheib

cheib Member

I have the originals and the backups and both play fine. I am assuming that the Cricket game that you are mentioning is a PAL format not NTSC so I am unsure as to wether that game will work or not, I will ask a few of my friends and see if they may know