1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flip Top vs. DMS3

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Kev0192, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Kev0192

Kev0192 Guest

I have a V1 PS2 from release day.

I am looking to make backups of all my PS2 games including DVD-R

I have a few questions...

Which have you found to be a better solution and success rate?

From what I understand, a DMS3 chip will NOT work in a V1 PS2 (if that is correct) However, a flip top method would (with swap magic 3.0 discs)

Am I better to spend $40 and do flip top or would I be best throwing down another $300 for a premodded DMS3 chip system.

Just looking for some feedback and reviews of either method or comparisons on both.

And whichever you recommend, can I ask where you ordered it from as well?

Thank you!

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

The compatibility is about the same with PS2 games. The main thing to look at is if you are going to mind the additional step of swapping required with the fliptop every time you go to play a backup, maybe mulitple times on some titles that need cd loader vs direct boot with the DMS3. Is the hassle worth $300? Another consideration is who is going to be using it. I have a 5 yr old son, the main reason I wanted a backup solution in the first place after he scratched a $50 disk. I have to load everything because he can't do the swap.
    DMS3 was also not an option for me since I have a v2. I went with the fliptop that I got at http://www.chipzone.com

3. Kev0192

Kev0192 Guest

Thanks for the quick reply and input. Very appreciated. I would still like more feedback from others if possible as well.

So, with the fliptop, it's possbile that I may have to switch discs more then once in the same game if the PS2 looks for the CD Loader again?....

4. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

i thought the dms3 was capable with all versions?

5. Kev0192

Kev0192 Guest

I just checked out chipzone and they indicate from their compatibility charts that flip top/swap magic does NOT work with DVD9... is this true?

And how many games currently are on DVD9, any specifics? and any way to check?

6. Xian

Xian Regular member

As far as I know the only DVD9 English releases are Xenosaga and Metal Gear Solid: Substance. There might be some more in the future and I think a couple Japanese imports are DVD9.

7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

The dvd9 games work,all you have to do is put it on 2 discs that is not hard to do and the reason for doing this is because the swap magic disc doesn't have a dvd9 TOC.This means if you get a dvd9 you are gonna have to split it into two discs this the downfall of the swap magic discs.

8. Kev0192

Kev0192 Guest

Well I just ordered a Flip Top Kit, so let's hope everything works ok when I get it, I'll be sure to post my findings. I figure this way if it works I will have saved myself quite a bit of money instead of ordering a pre modded system. And if the flip top doesn't work, then I'm just out $50 and I'll probably spend the rest to get the pre mod.

Thanks again for everyone's input!