1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fliptop...perfect alternative to ps2 modchip

Discussion in 'PS2' started by rutsup32, Jan 18, 2003.

1. rutsup32

rutsup32 Member

have a ver 4 ps2 refirb. Have copied 45+ dvd and 12+cd games for ps2 using dvd+r media. fujis and verbatim all work without a hitch. use fliptop ps2 molded top and swapmagic cds 2.0. this is the perfect no solder alternative and easy to install. took 10 minutes taking my time only tool needed was a screwdriver. looks really professional top was 30$ and swapdisks were 20$....only downside cannot boot ps1 backups but can be done using gameshark swap. I cant believe the amount of disparity in information surrounding which disks work and dvdr+ or dvd-r...i read this forum before i got my ps2 after i made about 20 dvdr backups in advance and thought i wasted all those backups from the doom and gloom of people posting difinatively that a version 4 will not play dvd+r...well here it is the voice of experience..they do work flawlessly!!. also as far as how to make backups use dvd dycrypter to make images and then burn copied image its that easy and the program is free and it does one hell of a job ripping movies as well..I will tell you i would not pay for alot of the progs out there for this task but if they started charging for this program i would be first in line....hopefully this clears something up for someone out there http://home.rochester.rr.com/ps2ownz/backups.htm

2. Trollster

Trollster Member

Hmm.... Does this actually work or is this guy just trying to sell the product. I would guess the latter of the two. If true, then its sad. Concealed advertising... lame.

3. rutsup32

rutsup32 Member

i assure you it does work well, and i dont push any products... actually i was skeptical myself until i threw the dice and tried it...actually i am getting a modchip a magic 3.6 but installed this in the interim. the only reason i am going to the chip is the swapping is hard for my 4 yr old to do. and yes it is as easy as i said checkout the forum on the link i included...it speaks for itself

4. Trollster

Trollster Member

hmm.. if you are telling the truth i apologize. It sounds cool.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1 Member

i have swap magic 2 boot disks
    they are great.....much better than AR2
    but don't boot every dvd backup!

6. rutsup32

rutsup32 Member

correct there are a few games that wont play due to a double cd check and some due to issues with the version 7,s but by far most will work probably less than 5% dont work of those only 1% worth getting upset over the ones known not to work are listed in the forum on the link i included earlier...by the way the next version of the swap magic boot discs will address and hopefully fix this issue...all in all though these boot discs work very well.

7. dirtyZ

dirtyZ Member

I use the flip-top case and swap cds with my cd based games because I do not have a dvd burner yet. I have not had success. I followed the instructions perfectly on the site and i still get the red screen of death win I put in my burned games. The only thing I can think of is the PS2 does not like the imation green tint that my cds are. Could someone let me know of a way to fix this problem cause it is really frustating especially after spending $50 on it. What did you do rutsup32? The PS2 does look pretty hot with the blue case that I got on it though.

8. pjclark1

pjclark1 Member

if you are trying cd to cdr backups
    (not ea games)
    almost any media should do!
    (just use nero express disk copy, on the fly)

If you are talking about dvd to cdr rips
    then only no solder mod rips will work....

9. dirtyZ

dirtyZ Member

I just used nero express disc copy and the burn failed. What else can I do?

10. rutsup32

rutsup32 Member

If you read the forum on the fliptop site under games that dont work it states the majority of dvd to cd rips do not work...I have a dvd burner and make i:1 image copies using dvd dycrypter works great...sorry not to clarify most direct image cd and dvd games will work using these magic swap discs. I believe the reason you are having problems from what i read is since you are not really modding the circuitry of the ps2 it only understands standard format originals or exact image copies....DVD burners are now 250 _ 300$ rande and good disks available for sub $2 each you do the math pays for itsself pretty quickly...take care....skeeter

11. elljay55

elljay55 Member

so where can i get the flip top what site
    thnx

12. jr_

jr_ Guest

I am thinking the Flip - Top is not going to be able to play backup's of Max Payne and Dues Ex like the Magic 3.1 can't because they seek the boot code after the intro.
    I don't have one so maybe someone can test this.
    I think we may find more games that do this in the near future. This will kill the flip top.

Messiah and Messiah 2 works with everything (At least for now)

13. elljay55

elljay55 Member

are you serious because im about to order flip in like 2mins are there any newer games that the flip will work on like socom or nba2k3? is there a site where they list games that dont work and how much is the Messiah and Messiah 2 and who can put it in for me if i choose that route

thanx

14. jr_

jr_ Guest

I don't have a list of what it does and does not play. I don't have a flip top.
    Yes there are newer games it won't play. That is a known fact.
    I doubt the people selling this would publish a list of games that don't work or even mention this.
    Some think that they will eventually fix this with a new version. If as I suspect Max Payne and Dues Ex seek the boot code after starting I don't see it getting fixed.(multiple swaps maybe) I was looking for feedback on this issue. Not because I am interested in a flip top, just to validate what is being done after the intro in these games.
    As for cost you can search this site and the web and find the answers you need on the Messiah

15. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

Ohh god. Some one from ps2ownz bringing over their flip top propoganda here. My advice is to get a real mod chip. I have a friend w/ a flip top and it is way to much trouble. Its like you have to babysit your system. For $50 its not much cheaper than a no swap install service. I know where you can get a magic 3.1 installed for $75 including the chip. But I guess to each his own. If the flip top works for you then go w/ it.

16. Dills2214

Dills2214 Regular member

its not propoganda... it really does work and its simple.