1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fliptop problem

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by Beez12, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Beez12

Beez12 Member

I just got a brand new Fliptop and Swap Magic 3.3. I installed the fliptop, but the right side of it won't go down all the way. I ignored this and tried using the DVD Swap Magic to play a backup, but after a minute of trying to read the Swap Magic disc, all I got was a weird rattling, spinning noise. I tried putting in a normal game to see if it was a problem with the Swap Magic, but I get Disc Read Errors with all my normal games. I tried forcing the right side of the top down, but it didn't help. Any advice?

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

sounds like you have a v9 ps2 with a v4-v7 fliptop. Is this correct?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  3. Beez12

Beez12 Member

My model is SCPH-30001, Serial begins with U1. Last time I checked, that was a v4 PS2, correct?

4. Beez12

Beez12 Member

Also, the fliptop is a near perfect fit, it just BARELY comes up a little on the right side. When I try to press the whole top down while the disc is attempting to be read, the white magnet sticks onto disc holder and makes a bad noise.

5. ThePope

ThePope Member

are you sure the white disc is in the right way.

6. Beez12

Beez12 Member

Positive, the magnetic circle is facing up (away from the disc)

7. ThePope

ThePope Member

if you're still working on this, i would try taking the flip top off and putting it back on.

with the flip top open, are you able to spin the cd freely? the first problem ihad with my flip top is i didnt have my cd resting correctly on the spindle. theres a little 'notch' at about 11oclock that sometimes catches the edge of a cd, the cd looks like it is in correctly but it actually isnt.

if you cd can spin freely and if you want a temporary fix to get things going you can leave the flip top open, take the white disc out of the flip top, and just use the white disc to secure the cd

8. HellGates

HellGates Member

[bold]Do not read this post, read the one below!![/bold]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  9. HellGates

HellGates Member

The problem I had with my [bold]Push-Button[/bold] fliptop cover was one of 2 defects(but can be easily fixed). One is that when you get the push-button fliptop cover it has a spring-loaded top which allows the top to pop open when you press the button. Well, by doing this, the bracket for the spring & the spring itself cause the eye to get "stuck" or "jammed" near the outer edge of the CD/DVD(usually newer, larger-sized DVD games such as Killzone, Ace Kombat 5, or Mortal Kombat Deception) When this happens it makes a weird "jamming" noise(most people know how it sounds cause the PS2 does the same thing when trying to read a heavily scratched game, mostly old CD based games) The second "defect" is that the bracket(the eye gets stuck on the majority of the spring & some of the bracket) cause the eject tray to get stuck due to the bracket being a little too big & pushing down on the backside of the tray. You can still eject your tray by pushing it from the inside & then when it goes back in pull the top of the cover up some so it fits back but not freely like it was made to do. To fix these 2 small problems is very easy. One, don't buy the push-button. Its technically not worth the extra work because after that its technically not a functional push button. Second, if you already have one pay attention here. Take the cover off your PS2 & take the same percautions you did while putting it on(the eye, the ribbon, ect.) Now when you have your cover off look at the fliptop itself. You should see a little bracket w/ a spring in it & if you mess with it you will see how it works. Basiclly, take the spring out & file the bracket down & you will be as good as new. If you have any questions, I should be opening a topic specifically on this subject in a few days so just look for that. Until then, just post in here & I will check back every so often.