1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fliptop + Swap Magic 3.3

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by samm0, Mar 29, 2005.

1. samm0

samm0 Member

Hey guys,

I've been looking around the forums for awhile now, trying to figure something out. I've got a slim ps2, with a fliptop lid installed. When I boot up Swap Magic 3.3, it loads fine, and then I attempt to swap the disc. However, it never reads the backed up version of the game, only the originals. I'm sure I'm backing up the games correctly (rip iso using dvd decrypter, burn using same program as slow speed to dvd-r media). The game seems to notice when the lid is up though. Should that be the case? There was a spring inside that popped out, but I put it back in. I don't know what the problems are, but has anyone else had similar ones?

ps: I tried memorex dvd-r and fuji-film dvd-r discs. Are there any suggestions for other media?

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Thats the problem. The slim fliptop lids don't fit correctly. Someone figured out the problem, but i forgot what he did.

3. l34merik

l34merik Regular member

hm.. can you be a little bit more clear? Where did you get your fliptop? What version is your PS2?

4. samm0

samm0 Member

I got my fliptop from http://www.modchip.com

It's the V12 new slim ps2. The fliptop was supposed to fit exactly for the V12.

5. samm0

samm0 Member

Update on progress:

Neither of these ways work for burned games, but only one of them works for originals:

Way 1: does not work for originals
    ------------------------------------
    [1] Put in swap magic 3.3 dvd, hold down front of ps2 so that it thinks lid is down.
    [2] It stops spinning, we put in original (or backup, for that matter) by lifting up lid while simultaneously holding front down.
    [3] We press (x) to load the game, and it says that it is an invalid ps2 game, whether it's real or burned.

Way 2: works ONLY for real games
    -------------------------------------
    [1] Boot up swap magic, holding down lid.
    [2] Game stops spinning.
    [3] we put in the new game, lift up breifly on the front, so that the message "INSERT BIGGER TOC" message shows up.
    [4] Press lid back down
    [5] Game starts spinning
    [6] Press (x) and the game will run, if it is real. Otherwise, it says that it is an invalid ps2 disc.

Any ideas?

6. samm0

samm0 Member

As a side note, I'm trying to play MGS, which from what I've read, has no problem being straight ripped and burned to a disc. Which of my above ways is the right one to use Swap Magic?

7. l34merik

l34merik Regular member

you use a fliptop for v12? those things look ugly. Anyways try the magic cards for v12. They v12 ps2 is not like the ps1. It has more checks. If you feel comfortable with opening your ps2 and try the tape method. If you're not you could pm me and I could get one of those cards for you.

8. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

The 'Tape mod' is simple and works fine. I've been using it for 4 months or so without a single problem..and it's the fastest and cheapest method. :)

Only thing when using this method, you won't be able to make swaps that 'need' to be recognized, but if you don't plan on doing that, then it's good to go.

9. samm0

samm0 Member

What does the "Tape mod" actually do? I'd _really_ like to be able to get this working without going out to buy a bunch of other stuff. I was under the impression that the fliptop and swap magic was all I needed to play backups.

10. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

you can use SwapMagic with a fliptop just fine. That would be one method of booting your backups.

Using SwapMagic with the tape mod would be another option for the slimline.