1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

floppy drive help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by c00ns, Oct 27, 2004.

1. c00ns

c00ns Member

i just installed my floppy drive and it's a standard floppy disk drive. it says the device is working properly, but when i put in a disk, it doesn't read and tells me to put in a disk. what's the problem? could it be i need to install a driver for the motherboard? i have a MSI 865PE Neo2 motherboard... any suggestions?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i presume the drive light is not always on except to read the disk, is the disk formatted or has info on it. is the drive new or old

3. c00ns

c00ns Member

acutally, the drive light is always on, even when there's no disk inside... and i've used the disk before on other computers to save school work... and i believe the drive is fairly new, it says that the driver date is 7/1/2001

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You have a bad drive or hookup. The light should only be on when working.

Jerry

5. Buik

Buik Regular member

I've had a similar problem. But probably only because I have an LS-120 drive installed also. Considered getting a thumb drive. They hold more data and work on USB.

TC

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey cOOns!

When you connect any IDE or floppy data cable the white/red line on the cable is orientated so it is near the pin #1 marking on the motherboard.
    At the other end(drive)the stripe is connected closest to the power connector.
    If the floppy drive light is on the cable is upside down.

7. ddp

yes you have floppy cable in reverse(pin 1 to pin 34 instead of pin 1 to pin 1 & pin 34 to pin 34). but you have to look at connector on drive as pin is not always closes to power only ide drives are. panasonic drive in my hand right now pin 1 is opposite side from power cable. computer off rotate connector on floppy & turn power on, light will stay on for a bit then turn off

8. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey DDP,

I doubt c00ns(and the majority of people) can tell which pin is #1 on a floppy drive.They can tell if the light is on........

Later.........

9. ddp

this is not meant as an insult but always do a R.T.F.M.D.(Read The F***ing Manual Dummy) as the motherboard manual will tell you what to do, where is pin 1 on floppy cable, ide cable & what ever. and on about half of floppy drives there is markings for pin 1, floppy drive connector is keyed, it just depends on whether floppy cable connector is keyed. if still in doubt, ask

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Pin 3 is always missing on floppies, therefore pin 1 is to the left of it.....................

Also there is sometimes a cut out on the pcb and in the connector (polarity key), pin 1 is always to the left of this key..........(another check).....

Also, you want to check if ALL the pins are seated in the connector, as it is very easy to push the connector on, and bend a couple of pins at either end out of the side, so they are not in the connector..........
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  11. ddp

baabaa, pin 3 is not always missing as i have an alps electric drive in my hand that is not missing pin 3 so it depends on manufacturer whether pin 3 is missing or not. usually but not always pin 1 & pin 34? will be silk screened on circuit board or stamped on casing by a symbol not a #, symbol like a narrow triangle

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Just flip the cable, there is only two possible possitions if your using the proper cable. the only issue comes up is if you also installed a 5.25 drive on the same line. Is this a 5.25 drive or just the 3.5 drive. there are cable issues and wire crosses you need to consider with 5.25 drives.

Other wise with 3.5, light should not be on. if so switch the cable and should work. If not might be a bad drive. Do a dumpster dive and get a new one.

13. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well, I ain't arguing the toss over a stupid pin.

ALPS DF354H090F..............................

The fact of the matter:
    Either Bad drive
    Bad connection
    Reversed 34 pin cable (twisted towards motherboard)
    Not all pins connected

THE END
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  14. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

I love a good scrap!!

15. ddp

baabaa not arguing just correcting just as you would correct me if i got it wrong. i am always right except when i am wrong

16. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Sorry to disappoint you my friend, as I have seen alot throughout this forum, and unlike others, I know when not to start goading people............

17. c00ns

c00ns Member

thanks to everyone who helped me, i just had to reverse the cable... and i'm not the most computer literate person... i just bought the cpu from a friend and he didn't have the drive installed yet so i did it myself. thanks again all.

18. ddp

good, happy computing & if in doubt ask