1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flucuations in speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wooder, Sep 6, 2004.

1. wooder

wooder Guest

my media allows for 8X burning so i set the settings accordingly.Why do the speeds vary from as slow as 750kb/sec up to 2500 kb/sec on other dvds?I find that one dvd will take forever burning at 750 while the next although larger in size,will burn at nearly 4 times the speed.Incidently,i have so much junk on my pc that it is bound to be slowing down the process somewhat.It's not a major concern,i'm just curious.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  3. wooder

wooder Guest

Thanks Nephilim.The speed doesn't vary on one individual dvd.Well not much more than 100kb/sec anyway.But it does vary from one dvd to the next though,pretty dramatically.I have 384 mb of SDRAM.Is there a certain amount of RAM that is recomended in relation to other components.eg would it be pointless me having 768mb of RAM if i've only got a Celeron 1.1 Ghz CPU?As you can tell,i don't know much about computers but are interested and willing to learn.Thanks.

4. Nephilim

More RAM is always a good thing no matter the system. Think of it this way,

Whenever your system runs out of (very fast) RAM it's forced to temporarily write the excess data to your (relatively slow) hard drive. When this happens it slows things down quite a bit so it's pretty easy to see why more RAM is a good thing isn't it?

For what it's worth if I was in your shoes I'd forget about writing at 8X. The faster speeds aren't all they're cracked up to be. As the speeds increase so do your chances for errors and reduced compatibility. I've a pretty quick system with lots of RAM and an 8X burner but I still do all my burns at 4X. I don't mind the extra few minutes because I know that my burns are going to be error free and as compatible as possible.

I'm not trying to preach, just hoping to give you another perspective :)

5. Nephilim

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  6. wooder

wooder Guest

Thanks Nephilim,dig your little skeleton pic man.Made me think of the Young Ones episode where Neil the Hippy is at the funeral of one of his hippy freinds and while resting on one of the grave digger's spades,the grave digger asks Neil if he digs graves,to which Neil replies "Yeah, there pretty cool man"-British Comedy.Cheers Nephilim.