1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FmtTag: 0x0007 - Microsoft CCITT G.711 (A-Law and u-Law) PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by edwardzb, Aug 29, 2007.

1. edwardzb

edwardzb Member

Okay, I have a problem here that is driving me nuts. I can't find a solution, and I've spent hours trying to figure it out. I've decided it's time to ask for some help and hope that someone might be able to give me an idea as to what's going on.

So I have video, that's no problem... it's the audio that seems to be having a fit. I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium. I try to play the video in Windows Media Player and as I stated above, video works great. When I click the little red X next to the video name in Media Player's playlist... I get this error:

Windows Media Player Error Message Help
    You've encountered an error message C00D10D1 while using Windows Media Player. The following information might help you troubleshoot the issue.

Codec is missing
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file (or cannot play either the audio or video portion of the file) because the -0010-8000-00AA00389B71} codec is not installed on your computer.

The missing codec might be available to download from the Internet. To search for the -0010-8000-00AA00389B71} codec, see WMPlugins.com.

That basically does me no good. So I tried using GSpot, and it says I have the proper codec, but it cannot render it. Here is the information GSpot gave me:

(SRC)-->>--(A)-->[AVI Splitter]>--(B)-->[ACM:Microsoft CCITT G.711 (A-Law and U-Law) CODEC for MSACM ]>--(C)-->[Default DirectSound Device]
    Failed to connect Output pin 0x045a5514 ("Stream 01") on AVI Splitter to input pin 0x045b57e4 ("Input") on filter 0x076d6511 ("Microsoft CCITT G.711 (A-Law and u-Law) CODEC for MSACM").ConnectDirect()failed. Error: 0x80040200: [unknown]

Seems strange to me... it says I have the codec, but it's not playing for some reason or another. If anybody might have an idea what's going on I'd appreciate it. I think the error might have something to do with an ACM Wrapper not being used, but I really have no idea. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. attar

attar Senior member

3. edwardzb

edwardzb Member

Still no luck I'm afraid. I've tried the ffdshow pack... and set it to use the codec included with that pack to render A-LAW and u-Law audio, but I still can't get this thing to work. Could the default codec file be corrupt or something? Would that be quartz.dll or the msg711.acm file. The FMT tag for the audio portion of the file is:

0x0007 (MULAW)

I assume that means Microsoft u-Law... now this codec shows up in my list of installed codecs and filters... but it's just not working. Strange part is that before I reformatted my computer last night and reinstalled windows... the sound worked fine at the exact same file I'm opening. Grrr! Thanks for looking.

4. edwardzb

edwardzb Member

Problem solved... figured I'd post my solution as others may have this strange error at one point or another. First thing I did was rename quartz.dll to quartz.bak and msg711.acm to msg711.bak. Then I started the download of the "DirectX End User Runtimes (June 2007) Full Download" from here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/aa937788.aspx

As that was downloading, I found, and downloaded an older version of the quartz.dll file... located here:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.php?quartz

I extracted the file into C:\Windows\System32. After downloading and extracting that, I renamed the msg711.bak file back to msg711.acm (this step is probably useless, as I probably didn't even have to rename the msg711.acm to begin with, oh well)

Next I waited for my DirectX download to finish, and went ahead and extracted the files from it into C:\Temp. I browsed to that folder, and ran the "DXSETUP.exe" file. It ran it's usual checks, initialized, and then installed.

After it installed, I went to the "Run" command from the Start Menu and typed in "regsvr32 quartz.dll" The command succeeded, so I figured I'd test everything.

I returned to GSpot, opened the file I'd been having problems with and retested the rendering. The picture says it all. :)

[​IMG]