1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FMV Skipping - General Burning Help Requested

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Maphis, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Maphis

Maphis Member

At first I thought i'd be able to solve this problem by myself, and by reading every single FAQ thread on this board and others. I know you need to use good media, and i've read all the advice available on burn speeds etc. So, here's my problem and machine spec:

Problem: I've tried burning FFXII to a variety of discs, I think i've made somewhere in the region of 15 copies now. Anyway, for those burns that work, the FMV continually freezes and pauses every 2-4 seconds. I get different results with different media (Unless otherwise stated, all burns are getting a quality of 90-95 in Nero CD/DVD Quality scan):

These were all burnt with a SONY DRU-700A, supporting booktyping and burning at 4x, 6x and 8x.

Verbatim 16x DVD+R - These don't boot at all, after loading up Swapmagic 3.6 and putting in the Verbatim's, i'm presented with SwapMagic telling me that it's not a valid PS2 disc. I've tried book-typing them to DVD-ROM, but it doesn't help. I find this odd as I have a V7 PS2 which (in theory) should play DVD+Rs fine.

TDK 16x DVD-R - These boot, but freeze, pause, and skip during FMV sequences. My worst result was a disc burnt at 4x speed that stuttered a total of 68 times turning the intro sequence, which itself took 15 minutes to play to completion. My best result was a disc burnt at 8x speed, which paused 24 times.

ASDA brand (horrible media, got quality scores of 0 to 40 with hundreds of PI errors and failures) 8x DVD-R - Somehow these manage to run the best, but they still pause 12-20 times during the intro. Considering the quality of the discs, and of the burn, I expected them not to run at all.

How is it that ASDA/WALMART brand 8x DVD-Rs run worse than TDK 16x DVD-Rs? Is there really that much difference between 8x and 16x discs?

Right now i've got some 8x TDKs on order, although 16x media is getting harder and harder to find... the only brands that still do 8x media seem to be Datawrite, Ritek, HP and other 'low quality' brands.

So, what can I do to fix the pausing, if anything? Is it a laser focusing issue? Should I wait for the 8x TDKs to arrive and hope they fix my problem?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i would wait for the 8x discs. I used TY 8x dvdr for FFXII, and have not had any problems.

3. Maphis

Maphis Member

The 8x TDK DVD-Rs arrived, and they work perfectly. Problem is, I only managed to find a pack of 10... high-quality 8x DVD-Rs are in rapidly short supply.

Anyone know a UK website to get high-quality 8x DVD-R discs?

4. hursty

hursty Active member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  5. Maphis

Maphis Member

Those are the 16x DVD-Rs... which earlier this week I spent obscene amounts of time testing... they simply don't work well in my PS2. Where can I get high quality 8x DVD-Rs?

6. docbells

docbells Member

I am having very similar problems with FFXII. I also could not get any 16x DVD-R verbatims to boot at all. I finally got it to work using Teon 8x DVD+R - It works but my screen jumps and rolls vertically once I exit the city. It plays fine until that part. I don't know if this is still a media issue or not - but right now I find it unplayable.