1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

folder options in windows explorer

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ashmax, Feb 28, 2007.

1. ashmax

ashmax Member

Ashmax:
    hi I was wondering if anyone can help me with this problem I’m having have accidentally changed some of my folder options while trying to change an icon for a folder, now when I double click to try and open a folder in windows explorer or on my system it uses another program to open it, instead of just opening it also my right click context menu has changed, the change happened when i went to: windows explorer/tools/folder options/file types,: clicked on file folder tab, then advanced tab and did something under the edit file type menu like clicked new,
    all i want is to be able to open folders in windows explorer with a double or single click again and view the contents, i have searched and searched the internet only to find you maybe have to edit the registry. i am using xp pro sp2,please help!!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  2. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

A little confused...
    What program does it try to open it with? If you mean that it opens a new explorer window everytime you open a folder, then that option can be changed in folder options, General tab, second box down.

You can edit your context menu in the area you spoke of. You must have deleted something on accident, or modified something. You can fix it the same way you broke it.

3. ashmax

ashmax Member

What has happened is pretty hard to explain, so i have done some screen shots to help explain, please see the following link Screen shots

Many thanks for your quick response !!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  4. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

I suppose you could just put "Open" in the action, and in the application, select the "Browse" button, and locate Windows Explorer.

It will be located in C:\WINDOWS and the name is "explorer.exe"

5. ashmax

ashmax Member

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa, thanks m8 it worked, your a star, i have read your site pretty cool, i to have an interest web design, html/css/flash/ ext... so if you need any programs,videos,music,training tutorials loads of subjects or any stuff like that id be glad to try and help you out,just let me know.

Thanks again

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  6. wdude

wdude Member

i had the same problem mentioned here, but with a tiny different thing. Try to fix the thing by myself i created the action open with a different program fastopen.exe something like that, and so i fusk up the whole thing cause, its unbelievebable it can "mysteriously" delete the actions but you can't delete them by yourself. so now i can't open any folder, at least i can use internet to post this. I hope you understand what i write here.