1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For animation movies, is smoothness or sharpness best?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by snorkel, Mar 9, 2005.

1. snorkel

snorkel Member

I was trying to figure out for animation/cartoon movies (Finding Nemo, the Lion King, etc) which is the best type of enhancement?

I ask this because some people tell me that Action movies look best one way and drama movies look best another way, but I can't find anything explaining the best way to copy an animated movie.

Thanks in advance.

2. crozzman

crozzman Regular member

I have backed up just about every animated movie you can think of and even some you wouldn't and I have tried both methods. Can't say as though I've ever seen a difference in either.
    All I CAN say is to re-author and do only the main movie or you'll be sitting for 2-3 times as long as you would through a regular movie. All those extras take forever.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

well i only ever do movie-only, so on most films i guess the average compression is 80% BUT i don't use any of that extra enhancement stuff. I've even done movies with compression as low os 65% and my old eyes think it's just as crisp as original disc. I watch a variety of stuff, whether it be disney animated stuff or fast-moving action films/sci-fi etc and never notice a problem

Rich

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Use maximum smoothness. I have been experimenting and using shrink for a while now. I just backed up the incredibles last night and it looks great even when upconverted to 720p or 1080i. I think that the people helping in the development of shrink also thought max smoothness gave better results. Good luck

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

must admit ive not once tried anything other than default. i do watch mine on a 20yr old 14" Sony (no widescreen, stereo, or *cough cough* teletext). However i watch a fair few of them on my dad's new-fangled 28" widescreen, dolby blah blah tv, brilliant copies. One of these days i might try max smoothness, but can't get me eyes to go sharper ! :)

6. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Since I have a bunch of grandkids who are all into animated movies I found that sharp looks best you get crisp colors, and usually they do not need compression so you are pretty much getting an original look. For longer movies I found my bigscreen likes the smooth settings best.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005