1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For how long are you using Swap Magic on a PStwo?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by scorcci, Jan 25, 2005.

1. scorcci

scorcci Member

Hi folks,
    This topic is a kind of survey...
    I would like to know for how long you are using swap magic on a pstwo consoles without a problem.
    If anyone had a problem within some days or so, please post it here.
    I heard that a good modchip or way to boot backups and import games is reliable if lasts more than 6 months without any problem on the Playstation 2.
    Since the PStwo has little more than 2 months now is a way to see how is working anyways.
    Thanks for your attention and info.

2. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Hey, don't you find it kinda odd that people's responses go from "I've never had a single problem" to "My PSTwo broke down in 5 hours."

Makes me wonder if people just don't know how to treat their systems, or if it's just shoddy manufacturing with the initial launch.

I mean, even if it was a bad design, then wouldn't the results be more consistent? Sony hasn't done any redesigns to the slimlines (the v12 is still the same v12 that came out last year)

3. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

It's funny that you guys keep bringing up this topic, which could be easily avoided with a simple purchase and installation of a modchip....

4. scorcci

scorcci Member

Dear Brad1102,
    Is not that simple just intall a modchip.
    Since the PStwo is getting the lens burned even with one of the best modchips as they say: Matrix...
    This is not attempt to scare people, but to know how things is going on with the swap magic, we have to know and to hear the experiences from others with this product, this is the only way we can improve this method or find out a problem to use it better.
    I use the swap magic on my PS2 30001 R and I do not have in mind change for a modchip, is not because the price, is because trust... I do not trust in anyone to install a modchip on my console.
    I saw on forum for technicians people saying that are charging for matrix in are installing Murano thing... which is a clone but not the same and much cheaper.
    We are just talking about the right to choose each method we going to use, even if later we still have problems with it.
    Regards.

5. dfaulting

dfaulting Member

I'm actually waiting a bit longer for modchips to mature for the pstwo. Which is why i'm using the swap discs for now.

6. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

A lot of new users using the swap methods, trash their system within a couple of weeks. Swapping is really hard on the console, and while it seems like a bandaid solution for playing backups - I certainly don't recomend it longterm.

Just like every PS2 model once was, the PSTwo is a new console layout and some modchips will fail in it and even harm the console. As far as the Matrix Infinity burning out a system, a lot of chips had this problem in the v12's (the Infinity is relatively new in the market BTW, and NOT one of the best chips regarding reliability).

If you want a chip installed, but feel wary about someone opening the console, try a pro installation service that offers a warrenty (of maybe a DMS4?).

Try doing a survey on this forum of people that have recently paid for a pro install, and use the feedback you get to make a decision on which one to go with.

Remember, a lot of Senior Members in here are still gaming on a modded v1 console for several years of usage now, without any problems whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

7. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

I have a v4 ps2 that i had used a swap method on for about 4 years, and I have a slimline now that I use the tape mod swap method since they figured it out. Neither have a problem as of yet.

8. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

.....I stand corrected, Swappy mcswap swap

;>)

9. aslamraja

aslamraja Member

we have the option now also of using the dms4 ezi solderless oprtion but im still to hear about its realibilty...
    me personaaly i have been using the swap disc for over 2 years now and ive not had real problems apart from laser dirt etc... and the swap method is easy i know a certain 5 year old that uses the card method.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  10. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

hah, but yah, you did say that a lot of 'NEW users' trash their systems from the swap method. I can actually recall a handful of 'em trying to use the slidecard and just ripping that peg right off, or knocking it out of the tray's underside track.
    So, there are ways of busting your system with it. But, if your not decent with a soldering gun, you can do some damage trying to install a modchip too.

11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I did the mod chip, installed it myself (V4 Magic 3.1 chip). What a HUGE pain in the ass, even worse was getting the damn thing back together. I'll tell you what though, it was definitely worth it and I didn't want to go the swap disc method. I'm an electronic technician and I solder damn near all day at work, so that made it easier. It's a good adrenaline rush though, knowing that you are jeopardizing something you paid $300 for originally every time you put that soldering iron on your board. In the end, all is good.

12. offset

offset Regular member

I have been using Swapmagic 2.0 on my version 4 for just about one year, and it is still going strong.

13. scorcci

scorcci Member

Dear Friends who use Modchips,
    Thanks for your advise and experience on this thread, but the reason for this question/thread is to know for how long users that have the swap magic set are working with their ps2 consoles and pstwo as well.
    We are getting off the real reason and subject of this post/thread.
    Thanks for undestanding.
    REgards,

14. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

5 weeks herer renting and copying and running everything single swap heavy usage NO COMPLAINTS.

I will get a r4eal chip when the right chip gets made.

Im not going to put a chip that was not designed for a v12 in a v12.

15. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

swap magic 3.3 obviously... runs like a charm.. I still have the 1 year warrenty on my v12 too.

in canada they give 1 year not 90 days.

16. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

<--(fellow canuck here)

Are you buying extended warrenty for it? - cause PS2's only have a 30 day warrenty Internationally/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2005
  17. lotus_lee

lotus_lee Member

I have been using Swap Magic 3.3 with the straw method on my slim PSTwo for the past week with no problems. I also got the console last week. How the heck does a swap disc damage the console anyways? I have been using Freeloader on my Gamecube for a year and a half and never had any problems with that before. People must either have been unlucky enough to get a bad console, or weren't careful enough when swapping discs.

18. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

According to the pink paper in the v12 box its 1 year... from sony. shall i scan and post it?

19. PIA4004

PIA4004 Member

Please Help me !
    I just got SW 3.3 + fliptop for my slim PStwo (V12). But, so far I could not get any backup accepted (it always displays "insert a valid PS2 disk"). I tried backup CD-r that work fine on some of my friend's chipped PS2.
    Do I do something wrong ?

20. scorcci

scorcci Member

Hi,
    If your console keeps trying to read a disk and keeping giving an error you might have a problem on laser.
    Check if there is a strange noise or ticking, because is when the laser is trying to read a disk and can not go on...
    Is good you open a new thread for help, since here nobody will see it.
    Good Luck.