1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Force Write Speed on DVD Burning

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by yorto, Apr 10, 2005.

1. yorto

yorto Member

I have a SONY DRU-720A burner. It is a great burner. However, my DVD players are almost 4 years old and have difficulty with the way this burner writes at higher speeds.

In the past, I used 4X media and everything played just fine. Now when I use 8X media, the burner only gives me two options for burn speed, 6X or 8X. I want to burn media that is labeled 1X-8X at 4X but this burner simply will not let me. If I burn at 6X, my player will not play the disc and it reports DISC ERROR.

Is there a program or FLASH that will let me manually set the burner to always burn at 4X?

I'm considering a NEC 3520 as I hear that you can go as low as 2X on 8X media.

Please don't tell me to buy 4X media. The shelves are getting bare as 8X has taken over.

Help is appreciated.

-Yorto

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What program are you using to burn with?

3. yorto

yorto Member

Nero and I even tried CopytoDVD.

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Have you tried adding more speed options in Nero DriveSpeed?

5. yorto

yorto Member

Drive speed did nothing. I set drive speed to 1x, 2x and 4x and removed
    MAX and any others listed. I set it to start up on reboot and tried a burn routine. It shifted the burn rate back to 6x and 8x.

If this unadjustable, then I recommend those that have an older DVD player to stay away from this drive.

I may order a NEC 3520 if nobody has any further ideas.

Thanks for all the help.

-Yorto

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Once you have set up DriveSpeed with the speeds you want, unclick all general settings especially "Restore speed settings at startup" or they will revert back. Also, keep in mind that the firmware for your burner may also prevent certain brands of media of from burning at certain speeds.

7. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Sounds to me like you need to update Nero with the latest patches available from them. You can also ask the NEro folks via e-mail to send to you an updated cdrom.cfg file so that your burner is recognized to its fullest capacities. Another trick is to turn of dynamic write speed whihc Nero has a file available for download to do this. Basically turning of dynamic write speed will let Nero read your burners firmware and get the information about the discs you are using. Also be aware that your drive may have a new firmware upgrade aailable so pay attention to that as well. There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to burn at 4x.